1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic Silkie, with head shaking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aliciafr26, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Aliciafr26

Aliciafr26 New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    Florida
    Hello,
    I have a silkie that is about 3months old. Yesterday my kids and I noticed that she was not wanting to move around too much or eat or drink. Today we noticed that she was not doing any better so we brought her inside and sprayed her "new" home down with Oxine and put some Sulmet in her water, which didn't do any good because she hasn't been wanting to eat or drink. After having her in the house and watching her for awhile, we noticed that she constantly kept shaking her head. Well I browsed around on her a little and read about it possibly being mites. I checked her ears for mites and around her vent and also on her back, but didn't see anything.

A little while ago we got her to eat some wet chick food we made up for her and she also drank a little. After that she pooped a semi-watery green, with some brown, poop. She is still wanting to do no more than lay down and sleep though. I am about to go give her a bath to see if I can see about any mites or lice while she is wet. But does anyone have any idea of what it could be that is going on here? She used to be with 3 of her brothers and sisters out in a coop before bringing her inside, but they all still seem perfectly fine...

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I never did see any mites on my birds when I had the northern fowl mite. I found them on me- and they bit me, is how I identified the bug.

I used Eprinex pour on and sevin dust, then repeated treatment with sevin dust (in an old sock) under the wings, and around the vent and neck areas to get rid of them.

My chickens were shaking their heads about every 5 to 15 seconds. Like they were trying to get something off their necks.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Mites can kill chickens. Unfortunately, I don't know if they are responsible for your chickens' symptoms.

3. Aliciafr26

Aliciafr26 New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    Florida
    Quote:Thank you so much for your quick reply! Even after bathing her, there are no signs, but I think that I will just treat her for mites first thing tomorrow! Again, thank you!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Thank you so much for your quick reply! Even after bathing her, there are no signs, but I think that I will just treat her for mites first thing tomorrow! Again, thank you!

You are welcome! I hope someone else will chime in if they realize those symptoms could be another problem! Another general thing that is recommended a lot on this message board is to think about the possibility of worms. Those also cause general symptoms:

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm
    internal parasites

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2525157#p2525157
    see post #2 about seeing no worms

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by