Lethargic/Sleepy Dee

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by green thumbs, Feb 1, 2017.

1. green thumbs

green thumbs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2015
    Hello all,

I am so very new to chickens, I am basically still in diapers.

I brought my girls home( all 6) on the 12th of January. My girl Dee(Buff) has been sweet and funny. She was the first to gift us with an egg on the very next morning!! She is always the social one that allows us to hold her. Saturday (1/28) with the help of my sons, I released them from the run to a larger run in the back half of our acre. Everyone, including Dee were so happy and ate the fresh grass and scratched around. Then on Sunday, just by the color of the egg I am guessing this enormous egg was laid by Dee; it was a double yoke. Dee has been sleepy, very quiet since then. It is normally her and Chatty Kathy that chit chat. I haven't seen her eat. I washed her feathers near her vent this morning, she had some fecal matter. But, I see no mites, nothing red or abnormal. But I really am not sure what normal is... I am at a loss... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

I would bring her inside and put her in a dog kennel in a warm/dark/quiet environment.You can offer her eggs and tuna often as well as putting poultry vitamins in her water.If she doesn't drink you should consider giving her water orally with a 3cc syringe or a eye dropper or cup your hand with water and dip her beak in your hand.Give her time to drink they can be aspirated easily.Keeping her hydrated is way more important then feeding.Now how did you get them?Did you buy them when they where chicks?Buying full grown chickens is very risking every land has different diseases and they need to build a immunity.How does her crop feel?Is her abdomen swollen?Abnormal eggs from pullets that just started laying is normal she needs to get her system running good.Does she walk like a penguin?I wouldn't wash her anymore it is very stressful and can put them over the edge if they are acting sick.

Caring for sick bird links

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/sickbirdcare.html

Giving birds oral medication links

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. green thumbs

Jan 2, 2015
    Thank you so much for your response. I did purchase grown chickens from the General store. I have just returned to the store and the hen is approx. 5.5 months old. The avian expert seems to think with the symptoms I described, that Dee has coccidiosis. She suggested Corid for a medication. I did buy it and I am really wanting to raise my ladies naturally. However, I do not want her ill. I have syringes ready to rehydrate my girl.

To answer your questions, her crop feels empty and I am guessing because she is not eating, her abdomen is thin, nothing bulging. And she runs like normal. When I washed her bum this morning, she was very calm, I did not submerge her because it was a chilly morning. I did have my son help with a cool air from the hair dryer. Off to hydrate. Anything else you can offer is appreciated! Thank you again!

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Here is the dosage for Corid.If she didn't already give it to you.Go with the severe outbreak dosage.

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
    *The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
    *The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
    *The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

For 7-14 days

Note from me-In this case she wont be eating or drinking so you will need to give the corid water orally with a syringe and a few drops of plain corid will help too.Dont be afraid of overdosing her it is extremely safe for chickens.

1 person likes this.
  5. green thumbs

Jan 2, 2015
    Thank you for the dosing. I have given her water Ruth's syringe and she is out with the other ladies. At least she is scratching a little but I am witnessing her almost gagging.

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    You may be aspirating her do little drops at a time.Be very careful.
    The black hole in the middle is the Trachea and no fluid should go in there.The fluid should go in the side of the mouth.Keep us updated.You are doing great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. green thumbs

Jan 2, 2015
    I initially just gave one drop on the side of her beak and she seemed to drink. Let me see if I can catch her. For not feeling well she's super fast. And that gives me hope!

So dumb question I'm sure. Do I lay Dee on her back to get her to allow me to open her beak and insert the syringe to the side?

8. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    No,There lungs are located close to there back making it hard for her to breath.If she is doing good try dropping the water right in front of her beak she should drink it.

9. green thumbs

Jan 2, 2015
    Hello! I just wanted to update you! Dee is on the mend! She started eating small nibbles Sunday morning and drinking on her own! YAY! This morning, she was the first girly out of the coop and is acting her normal self!. Thank you again for your time and patience with me. You took your time to describe so much in detail! [​IMG]

With sincere gratitude,

Nicole

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad she's doing better! I would continue observing her closely for the next few days for further problems, but it sounds like she's on the mend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by