Lethargic, sleepy pullet- Ideas? UPDATED: feeling better!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ND, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    BR pullet, about 7 months old, give or take. NOT laying yet, and according to her comb/wattles...not about to, either. (red, but still pretty small. A hatch mate BR is much more mature in comb/wattles...but still not laying even though it appears she should be *there*)

I've noticed for a couple of days that this pullet is not very active. She's 'sleepy' and lethargic. Mostly seen standing, with head tucked under a wing.
    She will peck, halfheartedly at food/treats, but not really eat with any vigor. Haven't seen her drink, but I'm sure she is some.

She is light... not bony(yet) but much lighter compared to her flock mates of the same age. (same size height wise)

Her crop is empty every time I check. However, when I see her poop, they are formed, normal size and consistency. Probably just not as frequent.

Her color looks good. She doesn't appear to be molting.

She has no obvious injuries, NOR any other signs of sickness... clear eyes, clear nose, no coughing or sneezing. Vent is clean.

The entire flock has been wormed within the last two months, last deworming was with Z-gold. Someone, not sure which bird, dropped 2 round worms after that deworming in the coop while roosting at night, but that was it. I DID reworm just THIS gal yesterday just in case it was her and maybe she'd developed a worm load from eggs...

No one else in the flock is acting off at all, in any way.

This flock has some form of CRD, probably MG (99% sure) but it's not in any acute stage. No one has had any respiratory symptoms for months, and this particular pullet never really showed any respiratory symptoms when others did.

Lastly, I checked her very carefully for lice/mites yesterday and didn't see anything. I did not, however, check at night (when mites might come out in numbers), and I plan to tonight. I don't think this is the problem, though... as I DID have the beginning of a mite problem a few months ago (missed them a few times when checking because I didn't realize just how tiny of specks I was looking for...dust size! lol) and bedding was changed, everyone was sevin dusted, and the coop was dusted before putting the bedding back in. I have not seen any mites on anyone since. But, again... I'm going to check tonight after dark just to make sure.

Other relevant information possibly... they eat grower crumbles (no change in feed), small amounts of scratch treats, and random table scraps if/when we have them available. Oyster shell is available free choice for those that are laying. They are in a run that is 12X50, with a 6X10 coop, locked in at night and I use the deep litter method with pine chips. They get let out to 'free range' my large backyard a few times a week, but not daily. Besides some dying grass, there's not much to forage for...given the time of year and cooling temps. (SE Kansas)

I don't know WHAT else I could be missing... what else might be wrong with this gal. I don't suspect egg bound because, while she's old enough to lay, she doesn't appear mature enough and none of the pullets have started laying yet. I don't believe she'd have any worm infestation significant enough to be causing this, given that they were dewormed just a short time ago. She shows no other symptoms of illness, respiratory wise. Poops seem 100% normal. I really don't know ANYTHING about crop issues... her crop IS empty... she's just not eating much at a time at all, but enough that her poops are normal.

ANY ideas on what might be going on? What I'm missing? She's a sweet gal and I hate to see her so under the weather. I'm afraid, given the weather, that if I don't get her feeling better soon... gaining some weight back... she's not going to be able to handle the cold and won't make it. I just don't know WHAT else to do...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Has anyone been picking on her?

3. ND

Jul 20, 2010
    I don't think anyone has been pecking at her at all, even now while acting off.
    She's not at the bottom of the pecking order...not the top, but just some mix in the middle. She roosts right smack dab in the middle of everyone and not even the top hens bother to shove her out of the way.

She doesn't even bother to sit down when "sleeping" during the day... she's usually standing, tail down, head tucked back under a wing. I don't know what to try or what else to think... her lethargic behavior and poor appetite are her only symptoms that I can tell. She just definitely isn't feeling well at all...

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been posting about a similar situation with a hen a bit older. There was no blood in her poop but someone suggested Corid for cocci anyway. I had no better suggestion and was just grasping at straws. She just finished her 5 day treatment and is doing better. Eating with a little more enthusiasm, but not with relish... about 1/4 crop full at a time.
    I will be following this post to see what kind of suggestions folks have for your girl.
    Hope she starts doing better soon!

5. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Is it possible there's something that's making it uncomfortable to sit/lay down?

6. ND

Jul 20, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I can't find any reason why it'd be uncomfortable for her to sit or lay... and at night, she roosts normally with everyone else. I can't find anything when picking her up and feeling around and inspecting.

They were let out to free range for a few hours before dark yesterday, and she walked around, slowly, some...picked a bit at the grass...but kept to herself, and was still lethargic and 'sleepy' acting. Did see her drink. I thought she had been, but hadn't seen her drink so I couldn't be sure. No one appears to be picking on her... she's pretty much ignored, at best. She stands among everyone if they're sleeping or dust bathing. I haven't isolated her only because I think that just might further stress her out and depress her, and since no one is picking on her, there doesn't seem to be any pressing reason to do so right now.

I checked the coop/birds for mites late last night...nothing.

The only other things I'm doing at this point are treating the water with Denagard. (it's just time for the monthly "preventative/maintenance" for the MG)
    AND, I've started giving this gal a few drops of the infant vitamins (minus iron). I figure that can't hurt anything, and might help since she's not eating as much as she should be.

I suppose there's no telling what could be wrong...internally. Her symptoms are just vague 'don't feel good' type symptoms, but nothing that points at any thing specific at all. Frustrating!

7. ND

Jul 20, 2010
    UPDATE:

The gal is feeling MUCH better and acting 100% normal now.
    I'm not sure what it was... or what helped her, either.

I dewormed her with Zimectrin Gold, but didn't see any worms shed in any poop. She had been dewormed in the last few months, so I don't think this helped or hurt.

I have been giving her Poly-Sol vitamin drops every day since the post. This might have helped some...helped her feel better, faster... since she wasn't eating much. I don't think this 'cured her', but just helped in the process.

I began treating the water with Denagard the evening of the 16th or the morning of the 17th, can't remember. I use this for 5-7days each month as a 'preventative' in my MG management with this flock, and it was just time to do their monthly dose. She started acting a bit better into the second day of treatment with this, and nearly 100% by the 3rd full day. She wasn't showing ANY respiratory symptoms at all, but I suppose there might have been something going on that was also targeted with this medication. While I'm not sure what's made her feel good again, I lean towards it being the Denagard treatment. I'm just not sure what it was that was causing her to feel so poorly. (My preventative dose is 8cc's per gallon, in case anyone is interested in that) I will probably make sure to do a full 7 days of Denagard this month, just to help make sure whatever this gal was dealing with is knocked out.

She's still light feeling, but now she's eating heartily and filling (and emptying) her crop, so she should pick her weight back up a bit soon. She's back to dust bathing, and running around acting like any silly pullet should!

Whatever it was, I'm glad she's feeling back to normal again. I just hate seeing any of them look so pathetic!

8. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Oh yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    Lethargic, sleepy? First thing I thought when I read that was that sounds like ME! [​IMG] I have seasonal affective disorder. Kinda doubt that applies to chickens.....

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I got some Poly VI sol, would you like some - [​IMG]

Anyway, I have a chick jsut like that, I feel like I shoudl smack myself in the head because I do have Poly Vi Sol, so I will tryit

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by