Lethargic, swollen crop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heatherkh, Oct 7, 2011.

1. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Hi all. One of my 4week old babies is very lethargic, wings down, eyes droopy etc. At first I suspected cocci, but upon inspection, it's crop is very large and full feeling. they've been on chick starter with minimal treats (yogurt, hard boiled egg on occasion, sometimes a piece of fruit or veg) acv in water, etc.

Not sure if it is sour or impacted at this point. Still has an appetite, but I've separated it and just have yogurt and water in there now because I don't want it to eat if it's crop is so full. So do I turn it upside down and massage in order to get it to regurgitate?

2. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Answering my own question, looks like it is important NOT to turn the bird upside down because it can aspirate. For now I'm just going to try massaging the crop in a downward motion to try to get things moving through it. if it comes to I'd, I will attempt to flush the crop with the chick right side up.

Bummed. Here I thought I was out of the woods!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    When my Floyd was younger he'd eat until his crop was large, sagging, and hard as a rock but it always went down over night. I don't think her crop would be soured if you're giving APV and yogurt since these two are both treatments for sour crop. If it's impacted you could take a drop of oil and massage her crop and hope the impaction goes down. This page may have some useful information on it to help you get rid of the impaction. http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/chicken-crop/impacted-bound-crop.php

Edit
    : Drop the oil down her throat, the site says you can use olive oil. Make sure you get more information on doing this before you proceed. I'm definitely not an expert.

4. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I'm definitely going to see how it is in the morning. She's our one that is slowest to develop and is very thin, a bit of a runt and gets pushed out of the way by the others. Crop is soft and balloon like, not hard. I don't detect a smell, so I'm hoping not sour and that it is down in the morning. She is very lethargic, however, and puffed up.

Just keeping an eye...hoping for the best.

5. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Good luck [​IMG] I wish I could help you out more. [​IMG] Let us know how it goes.

6. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Thanks! Nothing more frustrating than losing a chick. I've read about Floyd, you're doing a great job!

7. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks [​IMG] And it does hurt tremendously when one of our babies go. I really hope you find out what's wrong with her so you can have her on the road to recovery.

8. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    How is she doing this morning?

Edit: or evening. Schedule is messed up

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. heatherkh

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Thanks so much for asking! I was unable to post yesterday, but the chick was much better yesterday!! In the morning, I noticed it had passed three MASSIVE poops that were really more like half digested fiber. Her crop had deflated significantly, and she was a little less puffed and she wasn't holding her wings down. the poo didn't smell sour, and I examined it for any signs of parasites - didn't see anything.

I made a mash of mostly yogurt with crumble and a little water to thin it out. It ate with gusto. And is now pooping regularly and quite normally. Whatever was going on with it's gut, it definitely appears to be a little malnourished. I'm controlling the amount of food because I don't want it to overeat, as it seems to want to.

As the day progressed yesterday, it just kept improving, becoming more active and bright. I'd like to keep it inside for a couple more days to make sure it's eating enough and processing what it is eating.

So - YAY!

10. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm so happy that she's getting better! She's SO LUCKY to have an owner like you to take such good care of her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by