lethargic & very underweight silkie, holding beak open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Regan, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I have a roughly 6 month old silkie bantam, and over the last 2 days we've noticed her acting a little odd: seperating from the other girls (2 pekins and another silkie, all older than her, and acting fine), resting a lot, hunkered down with her head under her wing, and she keeps stretching her head up, with her beak open as if trying to swallow. Ive checked for an impacted crop, and I'm almost certain that's not what the problem is. She has a dirty vent, but I havnt seen exactly what her poo's look like. Otherwise she looks normal, her feathers dont seem to be in too poor of a condition. When I pick her up she feels so small and frail, and compared to the other silkie, she is light as a feather. Food seems to interest her only occassionally, and I have seen her drinking water. Any help/suggestions much appreciated, very worried [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Hard to say if you have not seen her poop.
    I would separate her from the others so you can watch her and check her poop!
    Have you wormed them yet?
    Also check her head to toe for injuries, and mites or lice!

Put some vitamins in her water and make sure she drinks it!
    Also make her some scrambled eggs with buttermilk in them and make her eat that too.

Let us know what her poop looks like...

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Regan

Regan New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay, so we took Tiny to the vet first thing this morning, she'll be staying there until tonight when the vet will make the decision of whether or not she should be put down. Its a virus of some sort, which apparently wont respond very well to anti-biotics. I cant remember exactly what it was, as soon as the vet said the outlook was bleak, I sort blanked out, and husband did all the talking. But basically it has caused a growth in her trachea, stopping eating and breathing. And because its a virus, our other chickens may be effected. Will need to wait up to a couple of days to see if they're showing symptoms. Happy thoughts for Tiny please.

4. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    When you say "growth" makes me think of Marek's Disease.....It causes tumors and is a VERY contagious Virus that can effect all other birds that are near or around the infected chicken and their poop...
    My suggestion is to remove the birds from where they are now...Bleach and clean out the coop and place fresh bedding in there....The run they are in too.... This will help them from getting contact with the sick ones poop...but if they are going to catch it.....then you will know in 7-10 days..

I am sorry this has happened...My fingers are crossed that the others do not get it....

Best Wishes,
    Laura

5. Regan

Regan New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Tiny was put to sleep last night. Coop and run have been cleaned out but they are mostly free range. Will just hsve to wait and see now

6. Dun an Oir Hens

Dun an Oir Hens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Rockland, Massachusetts
    I'm so sorry for your loss - you did everything you could to help Tiny and she is at peace now. Best wishes for good health to the rest of your birds.

7. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I am sorry to hear about your loss....I hope all of your other birds remain healthy....
    Did they inform you of what cause it so you can watch out for your other little ones?

God Bless you all and best wishes,
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by