Lethargic w bloody poop. Help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeerCanChikCoop, Jun 10, 2016.

1. BeerCanChikCoop

BeerCanChikCoop New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Spring Valley WI
    I found my girl in the coop yesterday morning just sitting lethargic in the corner, she wobbles a lot and has no life to her. I recently introduced her to our small flock w a few other birds (approx 6 new), maybe 4 days prior. Now she has started pooping blood. She is not on medicated feed (thinking I should get some ASAP and was vaccinated)[​IMG]

2. Shawnastar252

Shawnastar252 New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    From what some other posts have mentioned it could be coccidiosis. Start by separating her from the others and then check more into it. There is a treatment you can administer if it is coccidiosis.

3. BeerCanChikCoop

BeerCanChikCoop New Egg

May 12, 2016
    Spring Valley WI
    [​IMG]

Here she is crashed out [​IMG]

4. SweetandSavory

SweetandSavory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    I would say coccida and you should treat everyone with corrid asap

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It looks like she needs to be treated immediately for Coccidiosis.

Go to your local feed store and buy some CORID.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day. After you finish the Corid treatment follow up with some probiotics/plain yogurt and poultry vitamins.

Since she is crashed out, separate her and give her the Corid mix by eye dropper or syringe, drop a little by her beak so she can take it in. It will be slow going, but you need to try to get as much in her as possible. Don't worry about food at the moment, just get her hydrated with the Corid water.

6. NewORchickmom

NewORchickmom New Egg

Jun 10, 2016

Elsewhere I've read it's 1/2 tsp per gallon. Which is correct? I lost one of my chicks today with these same symptoms. Added 1/2 tsp Corid & so far all the rest seem ok. Don't want to overdose them or under dose

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day. After you finish the Corid treatment follow up with some probiotics/plain yogurt and poultry vitamins.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by