lethargic, weak chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Valtoid16, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Valtoid16

Valtoid16 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Hi everybody. I have a 14 month old hen that all of the sudden, became lethargic with a droopy comb. She can barely step over the thresh of the coop, let alone fly at all. This has since improved, but she's lost at least 2-3 lbs and still is pretty weak. Still has a good appetite and has managed to stay hydrated- seems interested in treats especially. Has a history of prolapse which hasn't been an issue for several months, however she has had persistent runny stool since, despite still being able to lay some extra large eggs. So far, I've de-mited and de-wormed which hasn't made much of a difference. Today, I noticed some white scale to her comb and wonder if this is fowl pox. No others in the flock affected. I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas.

Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

What did you deworm her with and did you do a repeat dose in 10 days?

And....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. bantyhen

bantyhen Chirping

May 20, 2013
    North Carolina
    Does she tilt her head back letting it rest on her back?

4. Valtoid16

Valtoid16 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    it hasn't been 10 days since (maybe 2 or 3 at this point), and I used Wazine. She looks better than she did initially, but still is impressively weak.

5. Valtoid16

Valtoid16 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    no head tilt either. can't feel an impacted crop, nor a stuck egg.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Cold she be molting or starting one? That can cause extreme tiredness. She could possibly have vent gleet if she has missing feathers, redness, and constant dripping of foul-smelling fecal material. What did you use for worming? Wazine or piperazine won't get all chicken worms, but Valbazen will, and SafeGuard gets most except for tapeworm. I would get her on probiotics and vitamins right away. Rooster Booster sells one at TSC called Vitamins with Lactobacillus that is added to the water. White scale on the comb can be from dry skin or favus, a fungus that is treatable with miconazole cream. A picture may help. Here is a thread on vent gleet: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  7. Valtoid16

Valtoid16 Hatching

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks everybody. I thought about vent gleet- no missing feathers and her vent looks pretty good actually (considering the mess I went through when she was prolapsing). She's had pretty constant, mostly green completely watery stool (no blood or obvious worms) for months but seemed unfazed by it. Wazine was the only wormer my local TSC had- perhaps I'll have to go further. Any idea on how long I should wait to see improvement if worms are the issue? Probiotics already added, yogurt supplement starting tomorrow. I'll attempt to photograph in the morning. Thanks again guys.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by