Lethargic when the weather got cold.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thelastchicken, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Thelastchicken

Thelastchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2015
    We only have 2 chickens, a Rode Island Red and a Americana. The red, Dotty, has become lethargic since the temp have gone down. She is eating and drinking. She has had some yellowish diarrhea. We have been giving them probiotic felling that it was a gut issue. She was getting better yesterday foraging and moving a bit faster, but today all she did was stand around where ever Hawk went. She does not like being alone and freaks out if she can't find hawk on a good day. The question is, should we bring them both inside for the night, we can not separate them, and wonder if leaving them in the coop would be better for them both or the warmer inside will help Dotty recover.

2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    That happens a lot when it gets colder. Bring both hens inside. do you have a heat lamp? :)

3. Thelastchicken

Thelastchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2015
    We did bring them in and Dotty was dead by morning. The main concern was separating the 2 of them. Now we have a whole other problem, Hawk is now roaming the yard calling for Dotty or in the coop brooding.

4. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Sorry about Dotty. I hope your other hen does ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by