Lethargic white leghorn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by omgunreal, Feb 20, 2013.

1. omgunreal

omgunreal New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Gillette, WY
    ***************UNFORTUNATELY WE LOST HER 2-20-13 12:16 in my arms as i was trying to hydrate her she was just to weak THANKS for all your helpful suggestions********************** [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a sick white leghorn pullet and most likely it was a fight i noticed scraches i think she might be suffering from internal injuries ... Not eating or drinking much and it gets up every once in a while. i have her separated And by the humidifier with vetr in it and just trying to keep her hydrated every couple hours but it's hard

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm sorry you lost her, she was a pretty bird.
    I've owned Leghorns before, they are flighty, but superb egg layers. She couldve been injured like you mentioned, but you also said she was sick. If she was suffering from internal injuries, then there wouldnt be much of a chance of survival for her. The only thing you could do is provide her comfort and supportive care which you did. There wasnt much advice that anyone could offer with the information you provided, especially with possible internal injuries. Additionally, you wernt sure if she was in a fight or not, nor how she was injured, internal injuries are non treatable...IF that's what it was. Again, sorry for your loss.

3. omgunreal

omgunreal New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Gillette, WY
    1. [​IMG]

Thank you so much for your comments and I agree with it all I have had chickens going on two years I am so new that it's pathetic... Today another one of my leghorns was bleeding from the Red skins that hangs below their beak and some scratches on the top of her head are they getting into frequent fights I don't know about the leghorns temperament i feed them regularly they have timer of 14 hours of light they lay frequently. I give them fresh treats i live on a ranch so they have free range also: seed/worms/shells/grit everyday so its not like they have to fight over food. Space is good and the older chicks are seperate.
    Flock : 4 Buff Orpingtons 5 New Hampshire Reds 4 White Leghorns 2 long island reds 2 Australorp 1.7 yr
    so I am watching the rest of the flock I took her in the house and cleaned her up and I'm watching her.... My introduction feed a few members gave me some suggestions and helpful hints I do appreciate that and I also appreciate your comments all true. I just joined the site going on 4 days of her being sick. I WAS DESPERATE and to late she showed signs and i was to green to understand. RiP Chickie.

Thanks again

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    By the looks of what appears to be your coop, it looks like there might be some overcrowding going on. Overcrowding inside the coop can be a cause of fighting/picking and pecking each other. Expanding the coop giving your birds more roosting space will eliminate the problem. Also you mentioned that you provide light for 14 hours of egg production. Experiment by shutting the light off for a few days and see if their behavior improves. Good luck.

5. omgunreal

omgunreal New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Gillette, WY
    THANKS for noticing, expanding for the second time coming up i will tell the husband the suggestion I love these birds so i will provide a proper home...we are still looking for another location period already have a request into realtors i am in Gillette, Wy patients is what i need......

6. omgunreal

omgunreal New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Gillette, WY
    yesterday and opened up the area so they have more premium areas to roost.....see how that helps until we move. :woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by