Lethargic wobbly duck - RIP Ethel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ethelandfred, Jun 23, 2017.

1. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    Went to let my male and female ducks out of their pen this morning and my female didn't immediately get up. As I went to shoo her out I noticed she was very wobbly on her legs.

She can walk but she's stumbles and seems weak, her tail is droopy but she's vocal and still trying to get away when I pick her up.

I couldn't figure out the problem until I looked in their feed and inside there was a clump of moldy food. I'm thinking this is the issue, I've done a charcoal flush before along with a molasses flush to clean her system when she was sick once before. But I wanted to check and see if this sounded like moldy feed poisoning first. Any suggestions welcome!

2. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
  3. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    I've moved her inside in a tote with a screen on top. Put fresh water, along with an electrolyte mix I found in this site (salt, molasses, water and baking soda) some pellets and scrambled eggs.

She's not interested in eating at all. I flushed her with charcoal a few times, she's not really drinking on her own either. I spooned some of the molasses mix into her beak and she is drinking some of it. Her belly sounds as if it is grumbling like she's hungry - that's the best way I can describe it really.

Gave her a warm bath and checked her for eggs but I can't feel any. She hasn't laid for a few days but that's not entirely uncommon either.

She's been acting fine up until today, preening and eating and dabbling so this seems out of the blue.

She is still having a hard time standing or keeping her balance and her wings are droopy. Her beak and feet feel warm to the touch and her poop is bright green and watery.

I'm at a loss. She's still very observant and is trying to bite at me which I know is a good sign but otherwise she's not doing well at all.

I'm going to attempt to call an avian vet in the morning, she's been sickly before and they gave me a few tips but they are hours away and not it's not feasible to bring her in.

I planned a trip to tractor supply if I got an idea on an antibiotic that could help, but I'm not sure what to get.

4. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    Thank you!

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I would check with the vet for sure... mold could cause a severe issue... not sure what to tell you for that though... @Amiga

6. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    She had passed when I checked on her this morning. I'm at a loss. She's been much sicker before and pulled through, and she had been her normal peppy self until yesterday.

Now I'm concerned for my male, they were a pair.

7. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    oh my goodness. I'm so sorry.

any chance of snake bite or some such thing?

9. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    Thank you.

We live rural Vermont and poisonous snakes are really uncommon, I think we may only have a single type and it's not found near where I live.

I'm still in shock it was so very sudden, I'm thinking it could have been a number of things but aside from a necropsy where wouldn't be a way to tell. She's a pet and I couldn't send her off for something like that.

I'm looking into sanctuary options for my male. He won't do well alone and another duck isn't possible, we are attached to them both and I couldn't bear to replace her but I want him to be happy.

10. ethelandfred

ethelandfred Chirping

Apr 2, 2015
    Vermont
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: