Lethargic Wyandotte… possible mold exposure or…?

zalena

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

My 2-year-old Wyandotte is not feeling well.

Her feathers are fluffed, her tail is droopy, she’s not eating, not interested in treats, not moving around like the others, lays down when others aren’t, has her eyes half closed a lot, and has runny brown poop. She pecks at the ground when free ranging but I haven’t seen her attack the feed like the other chickens during feeding time.

Her crop seemed fuller this morning compared to the afternoon after a few crop massage sessions.

She’s been like this for 2 days now. This afternoon I gave her a syringe of a water/B12 mixture, and isolated her this evening.

We don’t have any poultry vets in our area so I’d need to treat her myself.

Recent change: We put down straw in their run because it was so incredibly mucky with all the rain. Looking back I should have done wood chips. Maybe she has a partially impacted crop from the straw? The straw came with a little mold on it but none of the other 6 chickens are affected.

If she's still not able to eat on her own, feed her raw egg yolk only no whites. You will need to get her to drink often. Use a syringe to feed her. Keep her in a clean area preferably dust free, so use newspaper or clean towel for bedding. Hopefully she will bounce back to her normal self.

Do a physical exam on her, check her entire body, legs, and feet for external parasites, cuts, and any discharges. Also look at her poop to see if it looks normal.

If she's still not able to eat on her own, feed her raw egg yolk only no whites. You will need to get her to drink often. Use a syringe to feed her. Keep her in a clean area preferably dust free, so use newspaper or clean towel for bedding. Hopefully she will bounce back to her normal self.

Do a physical exam on her, check her entire body, legs, and feet for external parasites, cuts, and any discharges. Also look at her poop to see if it looks normal.
How much egg yolk and how often? And how much/often for water? I’ve never had an ill hen before. Thank you!

Is her crop empty now? If not I wouldn't force feed her, just leave food and water available until bedtime.

You need to check her crop first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk to make sure its flat and empty. If it's not you know she has a crop issue. I treat crop issues as outlined here https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
In cases where I think a hen has eaten something bad or there is an impaction farther down her digestive system (not in her crop) I also do crop flushes (one teaspoon epsom salt in 1/2 cup water) twice a day to try and help clean out her system.

You also didn't mention whether is currently laying or if she could be having a reproductive issue? Along with checking for injuries and parasites I also examine a sick chickens rear end for lumps or swelling.

Is her crop empty now? If not I wouldn't force feed her, just leave food and water available until bedtime.

You need to check her crop first thing in the morning before she has eaten or drunk to make sure its flat and empty. If it's not you know she has a crop issue. I treat crop issues as outlined here https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
In cases where I think a hen has eaten something bad or there is an impaction farther down her digestive system (not in her crop) I also do crop flushes (one teaspoon epsom salt in 1/2 cup water) twice a day to try and help clean out her system.

You also didn't mention whether is currently laying or if she could be having a reproductive issue? Along with checking for injuries and parasites I also examine a sick chickens rear end for lumps or swelling.
She only has water with her so I will check in the morning if her crop has emptied. Most of my flock seems to be resting as only 2 are laying eggs occasionally.

It’s been about a month since this hen was laying consistently. I am under the impression that hens naturally have a resting period when the days are short in winter so I wasn’t worried about that. Most of the chicken-keeping people in my area also report their hens aren’t laying.

Okay checked her crop and it still has a little in there. It’s definitely less than last night though, so slowly emptying, or something is stuck?

Back
Top Bottom