Lethargic/yellow diarrhea- Plymoth Barred Rock

RMK04

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
I have searched a lot and still havent 100% found my answer. I have a plymoth barred rock hen that started out acting a little lethargic. the next day i noticed some poop on her tail feathers near her vent. it was a yellow/green liquidy poop. she has lost a lot of weight. i put her in a cage in the garage away from the other birds. this has been 3 days ago now. I have been feeding scrambled eggs, yogurt, and her normal layer crumbles mixed with water to form a mash. she seems to eat "ok" when i encourage her too.(put food in front of her beak) i dont feel like she is eating or drinking as much as she should be. and seems to be getting weaker and more lethargic every day. I also added probiotics and vitamins to her water. gave a little poultry nutra drench on her scrambled eggs this morning and to her water.

e coli? antibiotic or other treatment? any other help on what could be going on and what i can do to help would be appriciated!

I would have a fecal sample checked if you can (most vets will do this even if they don't treat chickens). I purchased 5 hens/pullets a month ago and they started having yellow, runny stools. After having a fecal checked they were diagnosed with coccidia. Then after having a second fecal done Friday they also have hookworms so now I am also treating for that. A lot of these parasites inhibit their ability to absorb nutrients from their food so I'd try to get that checked out asap. Good luck!

thanks a lot corri. i m guessing this is something that could infect the hole flock ??

thanks a lot corri. i m guessing this is something that could infect the hole flock ??

You're welcome. And yes, if it were coccidia or worms you will probably want to treat your entire flock even if you keep her separate til she feels better. If it is coccidiosis you can get Corid from your local feed store or TSC. If you get a sample checked and that's what it ends up being I can help you with dosages etc. I've unfortunately become an expert in the last few weeks. :(

i talked to my vet, he is a bird vet, and he said he guessed it was something respiratory and he would test the poop for me if i wanted but guessed it was respiratory. he is giveing me something to treat that. my wife is picking it up, i dont remember what he prescribed. hope he is right and this stuff works. it s going on 5 days now of her being under the weather and not eating much. hope we can turn her around.

i talked to my vet, he is a bird vet, and he said he guessed it was something respiratory and he would test the poop for me if i wanted but guessed it was respiratory. he is giveing me something to treat that. my wife is picking it up, i dont remember what he prescribed. hope he is right and this stuff works. it s going on 5 days now of her being under the weather and not eating much. hope we can turn her around.

Interesting. I would still have a fecal checked just to be on the safe side....she could have multiple things going on. I hope you can get her healthy again. Let me know how things go! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom