Lethargic young chickens dying with few symptoms, advice needed please!

Rachael4444

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2020
Masstown, Nova Scotia
Hi there! I’m a new user in need of some help. We have fifteen two and a half month old chickens (7 barred rock, 8 lavender Orpingtons) and one one year old barnyard mix. About a week ago I noticed that one of the scruffy looking barred rocks was acting lethargically. He kept to himself and spent most of his days inactive. Two days ago he didn’t leave the coop when I opened the door in the morning, and when I picked him up clear liquid spilled out of his mouth. A little googling later and I thought he might have sour crop, so I took him aside and fed him a little natural yogurt and some ACV spiked water. He showed no improvement and died the next morning. We optimistically assumed it was because he was the runt of the litter and wasn’t strong, but we’ve just come home to find the most robust lavender cockerel lying on the floor of their fenced area. His neck area had been badly pecked at but he was still somewhat alive and we quickly euthanized him and removed his body. I’m worried they’re all sick, but none of their symptoms display any consistent diagnosis as far as I can tell. The lavender ones have been having runny poop lately and dirty bums for a few weeks, but it had been hot out (27C) and they were drinking lots of water so I had assumed it was that... I saw one lavender vomit one morning, but google told me that chickens “don’t vomit.” Otherwise, I’ve been concerned with one of the other lavender cockerels being remarkably clumsy, although still energetic and eating. FYI we use the deep litter method in their coop, and they have a fenced-in that is at least 25x20m, half of it shaded by spruce and bayberry bushes, half of it an open area with tall grass and a dust pit. Previously we had a smaller flock free range here for over a year that never got sick, although a fox discovered them one day. I have no idea how to treat the remaining flock and what to ask for at the store. Any help would be appreciated as we have no experience with illness and a vet isn’t an option right now because of the COVID quarantine. Thanks so much.

Where are you located? There can be no prescription without knowing what killed the bird ascertained by a necropsy at your state or national poultry diagnostic lab.

First off, due to the ages of most, I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis. It's common in chicks and young birds. The symptoms are lethargy, not eating and drinking well, runny, mucousy, or bloody droppings (blood is only present with some strains, not all-there are 8 or 9 strains that affect chickens). Treatment is Corid (amprolium) available at many feed stores and tractor supply stores. It comes in powder or liquid, either will work, it's usually in the cattle or livestock section. Treat them all. I will post pictures below the treatment chart below. Corid is very safe and unlikely to do any harm if it were to turn out to be something else, but coccidiosis can kill quickly, so I would treat. In addition to the medicated water, you can give any of them an oral dose that you know are not feeling well or that have abnormal droppings. Dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If you lose another one, then I would recommend sending the body for necropsy, that will tell you for sure what is going on. Particularly if you don't see improvement with the Corid. I would start treatment as soon as possible. Make sure the medicated water is the only water available during treatment, and don't give vitamin supplements until treatment is complete, that could reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Use the severe outbreak dosing.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Resources for necropsy:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Where are you located? There can be no prescription without knowing what killed the bird ascertained by a necropsy at your state or national poultry diagnostic lab.

Hi, we’re located in Masstown, Nova Scotia. I’d heard that corid was available at some feed stores and was hoping the treatment would something accessible.

First off, due to the ages of most, I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis. It's common in chicks and young birds. The symptoms are lethargy, not eating and drinking well, runny, mucousy, or bloody droppings (blood is only present with some strains, not all-there are 8 or 9 strains that affect chickens). Treatment is Corid (amprolium) available at many feed stores and tractor supply stores. It comes in powder or liquid, either will work, it's usually in the cattle or livestock section. Treat them all. I will post pictures below the treatment chart below. Corid is very safe and unlikely to do any harm if it were to turn out to be something else, but coccidiosis can kill quickly, so I would treat. In addition to the medicated water, you can give any of them an oral dose that you know are not feeling well or that have abnormal droppings. Dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If you lose another one, then I would recommend sending the body for necropsy, that will tell you for sure what is going on. Particularly if you don't see improvement with the Corid. I would start treatment as soon as possible. Make sure the medicated water is the only water available during treatment, and don't give vitamin supplements until treatment is complete, that could reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Use the severe outbreak dosing.
View attachment 2227128

View attachment 2227129
View attachment 2227130
Resources for necropsy:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thank you for your reply! Our local feed store opens up again tomorrow morning and I was going to try this if I didn’t find any leads. I’d read that it’s not harmful to treat preventatively so that seemed like a safe bet. I so appreciate the information on dosing.

There are many other products that contain amprolium, Corid is the most common in the US.
Amprol, Amprocox, Coxoid are products in the UK. If you can find an amprolium based product of another brand, it will work. Toltrazuril and sufa antibiotics can also be used, those may have to be gotten from a vet there, I don't know.

There are many other products that contain amprolium, Corid is the most common in the US.
Amprol, Amprocox, Coxoid are products in the UK. If you can find an amprolium based product of another brand, it will work. Toltrazuril and sufa antibiotics can also be used, those may have to be gotten from a vet there, I don't know.

Thank you @coach723, I’ll bring your list with me to the feed store and hopefully they’ll be able to direct me to the correct product.

I was just sitting with them in their enclosure and witnessed the puking from one of them again. Does this in particular signal anything to anyone? I’m wondering because it seems significant. One jumped up on my knee, threw up a stomach full of clear liquid, got down and went to drink more water and then threw it up again on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom