Lethargic young rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnyvista50, Dec 29, 2012.

1. sunnyvista50

sunnyvista50 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    I just joined this group after searching the web for answers about Merle, my young rooster. We recently got he and Pearl, a young hen, and they live in a coop in the yard. She is fine but lately he seems lethargic. Closes his eyes alot like he is sleepy. Not active like he used to be. Can't find a vet here in Lakeland, Fl who will treat poultry. I'm not used to handling roosters but willing to do whatever it takes to help him. Saw a post about lice and mites. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks. My friends and family think my husband and I are crazy.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Have you seen lice or mites on him??? Try dusting all your chickens and their coop. Your can use garden and poultry dust.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Go to Tractor Supply and get some poultry dust and dust them. I use Sevin spray in my coops.

4. sunnyvista50

sunnyvista50 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

Don't know if this will show. I took a good look at Merle and tried to take pics while holding him. He seems weak. Didn't see anything wierd on feathers or by body. His closed eyes look kind of tan or light brown and his comb on top of his head has what looks like a few black scabs. I tried to flick the spots off if they were bugs but they don't seem to be. Should I get the dust stuff to be sure? Thanks for your help!

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    He could have a respiratory infection.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    He looks sick. I have found that when a bird isn't feeling well, it almost always has lice/mites, so I dust mine even if I can't see any. So yes, dust him, it's not the reason that he's sick, but it might make him feel a little better. Now would be a good time to weigh him so you can monitor losses and gains. Any loss is cause for concern.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by