1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I have a bird who is a LF Cochin cockerel who is lethargic what would i do? He's an important part of my breeding program right now so it would suck if he died.

2. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    [​IMG]

3. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Anyone?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? What do his droppings look like? Is he eating or drinking? He looks weak and puffed up which can be a sign of coccidiosis or dehydration. Get some electrolytes in his water, and make sure that he is taking some with a dropper or spoon held to his beak. Coccidiosis causes diarrhea with mucus or blood, lethargy, puffing up, refusal to eat, and ruffled feathers. Corid from a feed store can treat cocci. Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoonful of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days, but they need to drink enough. Let us know how he is doing a little later.

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    He is about 8 months
    He hasn't really pooped much
    If I get corid should I give it to every chicken

6. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    The cockerel is doing so much better this morning. Someone gave me an electrolyte recipe as I didnt have any yesterday.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you figure out if he just had not been drinking enough fluids, or maybe was kept away from feeder/waterers by the other birds? I am so glad he is doing better. Some birds can be meek and easily kept from water, or water can freeze in winter, making it difficult to get enough. I use a heated dog bowl for water in my coop in winter. You can also use a rubber feed bowl, break the ice, and add fresh water twice a day. If you feel he may need Corid for coccidiosis, it is safe and wise to treat all birds at the same time.

8. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    He was in a separate breeding pen and was drinking a lot. Because he's a 70 dollar bird I brought him into our old house. I have put Corid in every breeding pen waterer and in the layers water

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully he will make a good recovery. It helps to give some plain yogurt or probiotics during and after Corid, and some vitamins in the water after the Corid.

10. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I gave him some electrolytes as we don't have yogurt or probiotics. He was doing better this evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by