Lethargy...illness or weather related?

JesseR89

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
Westminster, MD
I took a visit down to the run an hour before sunset where the flock has been kept without free ranging for a few days after a loss to a predictor last week. To set the picture of this evening, the temperature was in the 20’s and winds were sustained 15-20 with gusts up to 30, setting the wind chill somewhere around 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit. This was the coldest day of the year thus far. I noticed all the hens were excited I was approaching besides one who was in a corner, standing with its neck tucked into its feather almost statue like. I approached that hen and it did not attempt to run as it usually would. Instead, after I grabbed it, it attempted to “get away.” I observed it for any clear signs of illness or injury and did not notice any. It’s comb and wattle were the usual red, it’s legs were normal looking and it’s eyes looked normal as well. I checked it’s vent which appeared normal, but it did have a whitish liquid on the fluffy bottom feathers. I placed the hen into the coop where it went over to a corner and stood again, like a statue. I went back down after dark to see if this particular hen had taken its place on the roosting bar to discover it was in a different corner away from the other birds. Basically, this hen is exhibiting lethargy with no other visible symptoms. It should be noted, I did feed them some dairy in the form of cheese earlier in the day, but it was a moderate serving for a treat along with some fruits. Sorry for the book just trying to paint the picture. With all this in mind, does anyone have any initial thoughts on what could be going on with this hen, what I should continue to look for and suggestions on how I should handle the situation further. Thanks in advance.

Also, forgot to mention the hen is 11 months old and is always the outcast in the flock. Generally skittish and is the only bird I have who does not enjoy mealworms. Not sure if that matters, but worth mentioning

I would get her drinking water right away. Electrolytes or a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench would be good to give. I would bring her inside to observe her and get her warm. Check her crop to feel if it is empty, full, hard or puffy. Check it again first thing in the morning when it should be empty. Look at her droppings and pictures of abnormal ones can be helpful. Has she laid eggs recently? Try to get her eating some cooked egg or watery feed in the morning.

@Eggcessive thank you for the tips. I will be out there first thing in the morning to reevaluate/take photos if necessary. Funny you should mention the egg part, she did lay an egg later then the rest of the hens a few hours before I noticed the lethargy. She is a very sporadic layer it seems. At times I feel like she doesn’t lay for long periods of time, but I’m not certain as I don’t see them physically lay 1 by 1 and we have multiples of that breed, but today I am certain she did lay. We do have a rooster as well, not sure if he got ahold of her and gave her chicken ptsd or something lol

I would bring her in and give her a check up. I have one girl who barely goes out when the weather is bad but she seems off ,fluids and a spa day as my hubby calls it. If it is something you don't want it going around.

I would bring her in and give her a check up. I have one girl who barely goes out when the weather is bad but she seems off ,fluids and a spa day as my hubby calls it. If it is something you don't want it going around.
Does this normally cause the rest of the flock to become aggressive upon returning the hen to the coop?

I have only had to keep them in for a day so I let them free range when going back in the flock. Been lucky so far not having to keep one in for long

Back
Top Bottom