Let's all share the same box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stokesdalefunnyfarm, Aug 21, 2011.

1. stokesdalefunnyfarm

stokesdalefunnyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Stokesdale, NC
    I have 3 laying boxes inside the main box that I built. They all use the same one, which is the middle box. They will even stand in line until the current laying hen is finished. Is this normal? I have 10 hens.

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have 8 RIRs and 2 egg boxes. From all my research, 2 boxes should have been enough. However, th ladies all seem to like one box better than the other. I've seen as many as 3 in one box while the other is empty.

[​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Perfectly normal!! [​IMG]

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I took wooden eggs and placed in all 6 of my nest boxes. Now I'm getting eggs in all of them.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I usually have three hens in the same nest box lol Funny how everyone has that same problem! Wonder what goes through their head? One time i had FOUR in there...one with her butt sticking out and ended up laying her egg outside the box and it fell on the floor [​IMG]

6. stokesdalefunnyfarm

stokesdalefunnyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Stokesdale, NC
    Wow! That's funny! Good to know it's normal! Thank you all for your replies! [​IMG]

7. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha love that pic! My girls were sharing the same box this am. Both laid at about the same time.

8. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I have 6 hens, 3 boxes and only 2 are ever used. I built my boxes a little small since I really didnt know what I was doing so 2 wont fit in one box but that does not stop them from trying. Poor Penny had Wilma sitting on her head yesterday. I had to chase her out so Penny would not get squashed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by