lets all vent

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhoda_bruce, Jan 13, 2011.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Yesterday I was suffering from flight of ideas and I honestly thought of all you guys while I was juggling my poultry around.
    I made some changes that I felt were necessary:
    First, allow me to back-track and say that I have been losing a few guineas here and there. I don't know if they are fighting or because I should have taken them out of the tractor a long time ago. They obviously want to fly. I think they are hitting their heads on the top of the tractor.
    Then I have my broiler project going in the girls playhouse and its not pretty. I had to clean the house and wash the chickens about 10 days ago and it doesn't take long to get filthy again, so I was considering making plans for future meat projects with either a special coop or portable tractor.
    Then I have a female goat that seems too tall for my billy and I don't even begin to know what to do about that, because the last thing I tried, was not only embarassing, but I got a nice bruise to show for my stupidity.
    Well I got DS to help me feed and move things around. I started catching the guineas and threw them in the coop with the RIRs, which was tramatic for all the birds. They look like they all think the other one is something to stay away from. Eventually I needed DS to scare the guineas to me, so I could finish catching them and he somehow picked up the tractor too high and a male got away and is now staying on top of my coop, making a lot of noise. His sounds have indicated to me that he is a male and if I could have determined that I had another male in the coop, I would have gotten either DS or DH to shoot him, because I have been wanting to try guinea for a long time, but I'm just not sure.
    After I emptied the tractor of all the guineas, and noticing that they have been leaving a lot of grain on the ground, I began selecting the smallest broilers I had and putting them in the tractor to clean up the grain before I move them to green grass (yes, I have green grass). I left the 4 largest broilers with only water, so I can slaughter them today and then clean out the playhouse or pig pen...whatever you want to call it. Fortunately they are still pretty clean from their bath. I hate plucking filthy chickens.
    In the middle of all this, I started thinking of my friends on BYC and wandered if given these circumstances, if they would have made the same decisions. I sure hope I didn't make any serious mistakes and will pay for it with dead birds, but I will know soon.

2. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    My 10+ week old Delawares are gawd awful filthy! [​IMG] Mud, poop, rain, wind and white feathers, a happy father is does not make [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Well Rhoda, you obviously know what you're doing...I know nothing about guineas, meaties and goats lol. I know you're lucky to have green grass for your birds and other animals, most of the rest of us have brown grass or no grass whatsoever, or it's all snow and ice covered. You've made sound decisions in the past regarding the storms/oil spill. I'm sure, and as you know...we all learn from our mistakes, you'll manage just fine, you are a survivor.

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Winter is hard on us all.

The good thing is that you're trying to take necessary steps to ensure your birds are healthy and happy.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Can you put some extra straw in the run? My hens get all muddy the times the snow melts.There is not much grass left in their run,so I throw around some straw if I have any. I love having animals but some days(those muddy,cold,wet days) I really tire of tending to them all.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Winter is seriously annoying. Sorry you are having a more...interesting?...time than usual.

Don't feel bad- I have to round up 10 idiot ducks who slid over the 6 foot snow drift that has buried their fence. They are freaking out because their caretaker (the goose) can't get out to join them. Hopefully I can manage to corral them before they snapped up by a hungry something wandering by. At this point I am so disgusted by their idiocy that I am tempted to let them get eaten. I have been slogging through 3 feet of snow trying to round them up, after having had to shovel out 2 large runs. Gads! Why didn't I make the run doorways wide enough to admit a snowblower?!?!?

[​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:When we built our first coop we didn't make the door big enough for a wheelbarrow. Talk about PO'ed!! [​IMG] When we enlarged it we made a MUCH bigger door on the other side and cut a bigger section between the 2 so I could get to the other section!!

Just a FYI!!! I went to the feed store Tuesday to buy a bale of hay to redo the nest boxes, etc. He keeps them in those storage C-Cans. When I got out the truck I was like Geez, I can just come up here with a garbage bags and get all the hay off the ground. There was a huge pile all over the place! He said your more than welcome to do that anytime!! [​IMG] That won't save that much money but at least I won't have to buy hay anymore!! [​IMG]

Rhonda, sounds like you did what you had to do. Hope it all works out. I know it's pretty much a mess everywhere's in La. right now. They said on the news it was colder here than it was in Colarado this morning!! [​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Sounds like you made good decisions. And have been very busy. Alot of people I talk to don't think it takes alot to take care of animals. I have 14 chickens, 3 cats, 2 goats, and 4 dogs, husband, 2 kids living back at home. That is alot. But I love it. But it is really nice to have somewhere to vent. Chickens do take alot of work. All animals do if you want them to be healthy. Good luck [​IMG]

9. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Fortunately it didn't rain yesterday. The coop did look muddy. I am always afraid that someone will come over to check out my animals at just a moment like that, so when I see the filth, I start raking up leaves and pine/cypress needles. Suddenly my flock looks happy and busy and I'm satisfied. Sun shining today, so that's good.
    Sorry about the snow and lack of grass you guys. If its any consolation: I failed at growing apples and peaches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by