Let's change the ordinance!! Santa Barbara County, CA respond!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Chickenkate17, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Hi Anyone who clicked on this topic!

I would like to start a movement to loosen the Santa Barbara City ordinance restrictions on chickens. Please respond with:

1) where you live?
    2) how long have you lived there?
    3) how many chickens do you have?
    4) how many chickens do you wish you could have?
    5) how do you know or think your neighbors would respond to an increase in you flock?

Thanks!!!

2. AbbyDog

AbbyDog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    I'm nearby within the city of Goleta. I have 6 hens in a coop in my yard which is just about the minimum distance allowable from a structure from my neighbors. Of course the coop is closer to my house, since I don't have a huge yard. I have lived here for 16 years and got chickens a year and a half ago. I would like more birds but frankly I would prefer to have them farther from MY house- as hens can be noisy! I'll save that for when I live on a real farm. [​IMG] No one has complained (yet) but I live in a very loud neighborhood.

3. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Abby, I checked out our Right to Farm Act for Ca, as long as the neighbors are ok, we're fine [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. dirtychix

dirtychix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    We are in S.B. near Mission and Chapala. We have been here almost 7 years. We had chickens for a few years but some of the neighbors would complain sometimes because we let them roam the neighborhood. So we got rid of the, though we have recently got more.... 14 more. So we will see how the neighbors respond. The one that the coop is closest to used to love the old chickens so I don't think he will mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by