Lets hear it for the LADIES who build their own coops!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BellLisamo, Mar 28, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    I know you all are out there (or i missed you, ive only been here for a few months), anywho, how many of you GALS build your own coop?

I just started 3 different coops today. One for my teens, and the other 2 are for my adults.

I'll add pics tomorrow

But lets give it up for the ladies for doing their own coops!!!!

whoop whhooooppp

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

oh and please add pics!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I built a meat tractor using stuff I found around our property. The only thing I bought myself was the feed, and I used the bag for the roof.

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:sounds like me!!! i pick up free pallets and use them to build the whole coop!!! i use scraps around the yard to build other stuff and our neighbor lets us take anything in his yard.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Here's mine. I've done them all myself. Mostly with salvage at that. Hubby bought me a miter box for Valentines day!!

Playhouse coop. Now the bobwhite house.
    [​IMG]

Dog house coop inside the dog 10x10 run.
    [​IMG]

New brooder coop for quail.
    [​IMG]

My main coop. It's ugly but cost lest than $100 for a 8x8 coop. that was for roofing and screws. All the rest is scrap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I doesnt look like this on the inside no more.

[​IMG]

I'm still working on a Quail flight pen and chicken tractor to save my garden.

5. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    One of our tenants vacated the barn and found about a hundred feet of 2 foot high chicken wire!

The scrap wood laying around was enough that I didn't have to use a saw.

Those things make me nervous. I can use them safely, but prefer not to.

6. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i ALWAYS use scraps! they work, they're everywhere and best of all they're free!
    i spent a total of 0$ on my coop, and soon i'll have a bigger run thanks to a friend who's giving me his leftover lumber

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:I dont use a saw either, i try to find the perfect size before i start or work with it. My hubby has build 2 coops and of course they are 1000 times better than mine, but i find it fun to build them myself. I love it. What about you?

Your coops rock! Here are the 2 my hubby built, ill take my pics of mine tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am about done with my coop. And yes, I am a lady. Actually, when I was in college I was in a Medieval Historical group called the Society for the Creative Anachronism (SCA) and in it, I actually was given the title of Lady... Still am a lady, I just wear overalls more often than dresses now.

I have to put the hardware back on, but that is about it. I also finished a new picket fence and arbor, today, too. I didn't take any pics today because I had to go make dinner before it got too late; I am also still a house wife. I also built/ converted a rabbit hutch to a tractor last month. One advantage of me doing it, I get to make all the stuff as "girlie" looking as I want. There are flowers painted on the back of the tractor.

These pics are of the unfinished petite city coop from last weekend before painting and during.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20741_100_1763.jpg
    Painted lemon yellow to match our house and lilac purple doors just because. My eight year old painted a mural inside it today. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20741_100_1910.jpg

The tractor:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20741_100_1866.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20741_100_1874.jpg

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I more or less built mine. I did build my duck coop.

had to give my ducks away last weekend though. I have a herniated disk and have surgery April 6th. Hopefully I will heal up enough to make the chicken run new and improved this summer! I want it to be taller! and Bigger!

Hubby helped with the chicken run.. but only because..well, I really don't KNOW why. I did the inside of the coop except the pop doors.. he would not let me make them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=10071-Run_and_Coop

10. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:wow, lucky! i would jsut love to run into that much wire!
    also, i wish i had a saw. i work with "big boy" tools alot, but it never bothered me. remember, if you trust the machine, the machine will trust you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by