1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lets hope that the pendulum method of sexing works. . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cici_p, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Because that's how my female geese were selected! [​IMG]
    I ordered through a supplier over a month ago. Specified female everything.
    Called to update my order a while back and re-asked "so everythings female right?"
    "well, I ordered the geese straight run, but we can pick out a female"
    Oh, ok. (thinking they knew how to vent sex.)
    Show up today to pick up my order, and remind them: I want female geese.
    Ok.
    Out comes the pendulum! [​IMG]
    I waited over a month to specifically order female geese; all this time I could have just picked some out at the feed store!
    [​IMG]
    Oh well. Live and learn.

2. WIfarmerboy

WIfarmerboy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    West Central WI
    This may be a stupid question but what is the Pendulum method.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't believe they actually think the pendulum method works! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I think it's probably as effective as the rhythm method. My uncle, an engineer, insisted his wife use the rhythm method. They meticulously took temperatures, charted various functions, and... had 12 kids.

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I think it's probably as effective as the rhythm method. My uncle, an engineer, insisted his wife use the rhythm method. They meticulously took temperatures, charted various functions, and... had 12 kids.

LOL I love this one.

If the "pendulum" and other "mysteries" worked don't you thing commercial hatcheries would use it instead of paying top dollar highly trained and experienced vent sexers for their expertise?

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    An older farm lady called me today She wants nine goose eggs next week. She says and you do know the difference between a goose and hen egg don't ya. I said what do you mean a chicken egg she says no. Look at the goose egg the hen egg is always smaller than the gander egg. I did look at them and darned if she isnt right I have four and two are alot smaller than the other two. Now I am not saying shes right but.......... Hey a sale is a sale.

7. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:a gander egg????? [​IMG]

8. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    The pendulum method is holding a pendulum over a chick, if it goes one way it's a boy, if it goes the other way its a girl.
    Kind of like water-witching.
    Now, keep in mind I do believe in intuition and that there may be *something* to some of these more "intutitive" methods. . .
    But I did think we were going to be doing something a little more scientific. . .
    I tried vent sexing after I figured out what was going on. Considering my inexperience and the combination of the method, I am about 55% certain I have a female. [​IMG]
    Maybe it will all work out [​IMG]

9. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:Next time you hatch some keep track of which was egg it came from and see if it works.

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    'There is nothing new under the sun.' If these methods actually worked, everyone would be using them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by