Let's play a game. . . Name that Chicken :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RebelsHope, Aug 17, 2007.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Okay actually I got one of the brown egg layer assortments of chickens from McMurray Hatchery. Here are the chickens that could be in my flock: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Deleware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star. Plus one "rare" chick which could be anyone's guess.

Here are some pic of my chickens taken today. Three weeks old.
    I think this is the rare one. I only have one of her
    [​IMG]

I am thinking this is a Barred Rock
    [​IMG]

I really like this one . . . no clue what it is
    [​IMG]

Also clueless on this one. I have a few of these
    [​IMG]

Well that a few of them. I have more but don't want to post too many pics.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Easter Egger, Barred Rock cockerel, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red, probably RIR since it's darker than the NHR would probably be.
    Now, if that is like my Lexie, the BR cockerel could be a girl, but the coloring says BOY. Most everyone here knows Lexie, my girl with the "sex confusion gene", LOL. Honestly, I think its a boy.

That was pretty easy! Now don't I look smart, LOL???

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  3. RebelsHope

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Here are a few more.

I love the lighter on in the back
    [​IMG]

The one has a few in it
    [​IMG]

isn't this one cool?
    [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

In the first pic, the lighter one appears to be a Buff Orp, and the one in the foreground is a Barred Rock pullet. Then your New Hampshire or RIR, and the last one is a Silver Laced Wyandotte-that one will develop beautiful lacing as she gets older. I have three of them. Your NHRs will be slightly lighter than the RIRs, I think, although I only have RIRs myself.

5. RebelsHope

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    1 ) Yippy. I lost my easter egger this spring
    2) They are all supposed to be pullets, but I want to learn so why do you say it is a boy?
    3) YIPPY I REALLY wanted a Wyandotte [​IMG]
    4) Well the RIR will make my roo, Red, happy. Which are the RIR the ones with the cream stripe or without.

Thank you so much. . . I knew you guys were smart [​IMG]

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    in barred rocks and cuckoo marans, the male is always lighter. also - look at that comb! [​IMG]

7. RebelsHope

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    So if they have really clear bars it is a boy and if they just sort of look like they might be bars it is a girl? Oh well in the case that is really cool I could have some pure breed chicks later . . . cool [​IMG]

I know. . . I wondered about that. It is a really cute comb isn't it?

8. speckledhen

Here is a picture of a BR cockerel and his sister. I raise them and have had many of both sexes, love them all. The boy is on the ground:

[​IMG]

Note the wider white bars, making the entire chick seem a lighter color?
    This is also a boy:
    [​IMG]

9. RebelsHope

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks [​IMG]

If I have another one that looks like the Silver Laced Wyandotte, only instead of having the little silver line, it is more of a copper color would that be a Golden Laced Wyandotte?

Also New topic really, but if I have two roos do I have do I have to make a pen for each? Split the girls up?

10. speckledhen

Sounds like a Gold Laced Wyandotte to me. If you have two roosters, they will work out an alpha and a beta roo, usually, but you must have enough girls for them, 8-10 or more each would be optimal. If you want purebred chicks, yes, you would have to put a rooster and his girls in a separate pen since both roos will breed all the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by