Let's play......Name That Breed....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hezz, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I aquired 6 hens to add to my flock. I'm pretty sure what breeds they are, but i'd like to find out what you guys think, and see if i'm right. The woman I got them from didn't know what they were. LOL!

Here are some pics, and my guesses at what they could be.

#1 Jersey Giant or Austrolorp? (OK, she's a mix of some sort...)[​IMG]
    #2 There are two of these.... Red Sex Links? (my guess is RIR/Leghorn cross)
    [​IMG]
    #3 Buff Orpington mix?
    [​IMG]
    #4 Speckled Cornish?....(UPDATE: She's a Speckled Sussex)
    [​IMG]
    #5 Araucana or EE? (leanig toward the EE)
    [​IMG]
    #6 This one let's you see the face a little better on the one hen. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    for the jersey giant one, check the bottom of her feet yellow bottoms = giants, pinkish white = austrolorp

and the aruacana is more than likely an EE cause Aruacanas are rumpless, with tuffs. while Ameraucanas are tailed and muffed. but EE's are a varied breed lol

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Yea, i'm going to check the bottoms as soon as she lets me get ahold of her. They're all a little skiddish right now because they're in a new environment. Today is the third day they are here, and I have been going out, every day, throughout the day, just hanging out in their pen for a bit, talking to them, so that they get used to me.

I was thinking more on the lines of EE for the one myself....[​IMG]

4. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    yea, ive honestly only rarely had birds that LIKE to be held. lol most the time theyd rather sit on the ground while i feed them treats. (which makes sense to me... i wouldnt wanna be randomly moving through the air) Lol [​IMG]
    They are very nice lookin birds =) quite the variety of shapes and colors to the coop

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    that first one does not look like a pure bred, nither does the "orpington"...they both look like mixes to me! But the red sex links I would agree on. I don't know anything about speckled cornish, but that bare spot looks like red skin...do you know what happened to her? Or was she like that? turken mix? The other looks like an EE to me :)

6. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I don't know what happened to her, the lady I got her from said that whatever happened, they just never grew back in. Also, she looks as though her middle toes were broken or something at some point, they curve inward. Here's two pics that you can see her feet in, they are not very clear because she kept moving around on me, but you can see her feet. To top that off, the one Red is missing an eye. She said it happened when it was young.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    well im glad they are now in your possession!
    it sounds like you will be a Great parent to em!

8. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    I'm glad to have them, and happy to give them a good home. I have been an animal lover since I can remember, so any animal that comes into my possession is like a pet, and will be spoiled. I love raising chicks, however I do not want any roosters, don't get me wrong, they are beautiful birds, but I don't want any fertilized eggs. ;)

9. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    1) What Morgan Said
    2) Red Sex-Link ( Usually RIR X White Rock or Rhode Island White)
    3) Amber Link (Buff Orpingtons are solid Buff)
    4) Speckled Sussex
    5) Easter Egger

10. Hezz

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    OK, So I finally got ahold of the black one, and she is neither a JG or a Australorp. Her feet on the bottom are the same color as her legs, like a grey color. So i'm just going to assume she's a Black Sex Link, because she's not pure anything! LOL!

I also went, just to be curious, and checked my 9 week old black, that I THOUGHT was a Jersey Giant, because that's what she was supposed to be, and because when she was 4-5 weeks old the bottoms of her feet WERE yellow. Well, turns out she's an Australorp! The bottom of her feet are pink! I'll post pics a little later so you can see and tell me what you think.

Oh! And RhodeRunner, you were so right! I totally forgot about the Speckled Sussex. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by