Lets play spot the ROO - buff sussex UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kittykat01, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hi
    I have two lovely buff sussex who are now about 21 weeks old. They are both supposed to be pullets, but SOMEONE in my coop is cockadoodledooing some mornings, and as everyone else lays eggs the sussex are my suspects! I do have one really dominant Australorp hen, who might be crowing just to mess with my mind! What does everyone think, are Georgie and Ruby hens? Thankyou!

Photo 1 and 2 Georgie from the side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo 3 Georgie from above:

[​IMG]

Photo 4 Ruby from the side:

[​IMG]

Photo 5 Ruby from above:

[​IMG]

Photo 6 Ruby and Georgie with the bossy Australorp:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those 2 are hens....i have read that hens may crow sometimes

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    They all look like hens to me too.

4. kittykat01

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Thankyou, I am really hoping they ARE hens [​IMG] They are very tame, and like little family members now, and we are not allowed to have roosters here.......

If the Australorp is the one crowing it is another black mark against her as she is also mean, picks and eats the other girls' feathers, and only lays every couple of days. [​IMG]

5. MamaManda

MamaManda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    SW Washington
    My Coop
    I agree. Both hens.

I'd love a crowing hen. [​IMG] Then when my neighbor tried to turn us in for having a rooster, (not allowed here) we could say it's just our hen. One of my 11 week old chickies is a BR Roo that I will eventually have to rehome. But I want to see how loud he'll get first. If/when she hears him, maybe I'll just tell her it's a confused hen. [​IMG]

6. kittykat01

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Quote:If you were in my part of the world you would be welcome to her MamaManda! She is MEAN!!! We are not allowed roosters, but I don't think I can get away with a crowing hen either as we also have NOISE regulations.....and very cranky neighbours [​IMG]

7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Sorry Ruby is a Robbie look at the top view pic, those few pointy feathers above the fluff look like saddle feathers for sure

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:trust be they are both hens. given the age the size of combs and wattles, not to metion the total lack of hackle feathers,saddle feathers, and sickle feathers. at 21 weeks there should be very visable slinder pointed hackle feathers which there are none.

heres the feathers to look for on a roo (not all breeds have these though but urs if they were roos would)
    [​IMG]

here are 2 pics from feathersite a hen with chicks and a roo notice the difference in size and in color along with size of comb and wattles look at their hackles as well the roo has a lot less black on his than does the hen. your 2 are 100% hens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. lazypifarm

lazypifarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I agree - they are both hens! Little combs, no sickle or hackle feathers. Congrats, one of your hens is transgender, hahaha!

10. kittykat01

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Quote:[​IMG] Does that mean one of them will lay fertile eggs??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by