1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lets play the guessing game... Pullet or Cockerel???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandamay28, Mar 3, 2017.

1. mandamay28

mandamay28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2016
    Hey y'all... Ive got a few Isabelle Cuckoo English Orps that are 7 weeks old. I can tell 1 is a cockerel and one is a pullet. Wondering what ya'll think of the 3rd baby... First pic is the pullet, then the rooster then the ???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Put a card to their neck and look at the feathers resting on the card, if they're pointed it's a boy if they're rounded, it's a girl.

My guess is a boy,

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is good advice, but the bird has to be old enough to have the pointed sex feathers if it's male. That doesn't happen until about 10 weeks at the youngest, some males like this Orpington may take up to 4 months to have really visible sex feathers.

I'm leaning toward cockerel. they're young yet, but the well bred Orpington boys can take a while to mature. they'll drive you crazy!

1 person likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

The comb looks suspiciously roo, but I don't see any waddles compared to the other buy. [​IMG]

Love the guessing game! Another indicator could be behavior...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by