lets say i try this out-------

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by americana-chick, Jan 17, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    lets say i did a little experiment... i take my old incubator and through a few eggs in dont check the temp, and only turn the eggs 2 a day what do you think would happen? 'watch me get all pullets and all healthy chickens!' but i doubt it would work. what do you think? should i try it? I JUST WANTED YOUR THOUGHTS sorry about the miss understanding.
    ~Bri

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    Go for it! don't forget to keep us posted.

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    i think i might and see what happens. i just didnt want the chicks to be well, deformed or something because i dont do things the way they think you should. i have hatched befor and it is quite enjoyable so i hope if i do go for it everything will turn out good.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My question is why? Turning less and not checking the temp is not going to gain you anything but a chance at a lower hatch rate and possibly a higher chance for deformed chicks. Not turning lets the embryo get stuck to the inside of the shell. In my experience when that happens they die by 10-12 days but if it's minor and they do hatch they can be deformed. Not watching the temp can result in an early or late hatch and fewer chicks. That's not guranteed something will go wrong and it is possible you'd get a good hatch but all you'd do is lower your odds so why do it?

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I don't get it.
    Why wouldn't you want to do the best you could?

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Well, dead embryos or deformed, crippled or unhealthy chicks and seem like a distinct possiblility to me. Lots of people here work hard to avoid outcomes like that and post helpful information to help others avoid it.

Not sure why you want to intentionally encourage results like that. Caring for our flocks starts when we place our order for chicks or put eggs in the incubator.

Wayne

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG] I agree 100%

Yup, why would you want to do this? Everyones goal here is to hatch healthy active chicks.

8. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Quote:Okay, so why do it? [​IMG]

Have seen people experiment with temps, humidity levels, etc., but has always been with the intent to determine how to increase hatch rate & ratio of healthy chicks...

9. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    I wasnt going to do this if everyone said it wasnt going to work so i wont do it now. i just wanted to see what you all thought might happen. my goal was NOT deformed chicks or whatever just wanted to know what might happen. and dont worry i wouldnt want a chick to suffer or anything i just wanted thoughts on this.

10. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:Okay, so why do it? [​IMG]

Have seen people experiment with temps, humidity levels, etc., but has always been with the intent to determine how to increase hatch rate & ratio of healthy chicks...

and besides the fact i just wanted to see what y'all thought, yes i did want to try and see if i could get an easier way of hatching. do not worry i am not going to do this. once again just wanted thoughts on it. thanks!
    ~Bri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by