Lets see if we can guese the chick breed...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MEMama3, Feb 3, 2014.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I hatched out this mystery chick a few days ago. I know it's still early, but I'm making guesses as to the breed and I'd love everyone else's input. She's a light yellow with bright orange shanks and no leg feathering. Since she's from a small local farm with high production (they bring about 20 dozen eggs to the market each week), I figure she isn't a fancy breed. You can see from the picture, she came from some fairly dark brown eggs. Today I noticed some slight feathering in her wings that appears white.

[​IMG]

So far I've got these possibilities: White Rock, delaware, buff orp, Rhode island white, white wyandotte or maybe a f2 RSL. What are your thoughts?

I'll update as she grows.

Pic Update 2/10/14
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it just me or does that tail and stance scream "roo"?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

2. pheasant1

pheasant1 Chirping

Jun 28, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What if it's a rooster from a commercial sex link variety?

3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I was thinking of that, but I have a feeling if it's a sl, it's not one that they bred intentionally. That's why I was thinking of second+ generation (they got sl birds and they randomly mate, etc)

4. pheasant1

pheasant1 Chirping

Jun 28, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I was surprised the local farm would have fertile eggs going to market or hatch if being refrigerated........if they were refrigerator.

5. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I time it so I catch her before they go in the fridge. They are cool from winter temps during transportation, but not cold. I asked if they refrigerate and she said no because they sell out so quickly. She didn't know if they were fertile, but I hedged my bets and they were (well, 5 out of 10). For $2 I'm willing to accept a sub-par hatch rate.

6. pheasant1

pheasant1 Chirping

Jun 28, 2010
    Massachusetts
    That is dedication to the hatch.
    Have you tried ebay?

7. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I was going to, but that's still a bit pricey AND you valentines with shipping risks.

8. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It isn't a Faverolles. They have white feathered legs and 5 toes. I would guess some sort of sex link cross if they're producing that many eggs each week. That's a lot of eggs!

9. MEMama3

MEMama3 Songster

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    oh duh. I didn't count toes, silly me. I'll take that one off the list.

10. pheasant1

pheasant1 Chirping

Jun 28, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I tend to buy a good amount of hatching eggs. You have to watch out for the over charging on shipping and if they offer 12 eggs plus extra
    they're just out for the money and you probably won't get but one or two chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by