Let's see your dishes for feeding fermented feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BakerGirl, Dec 31, 2016.

1. BakerGirl

BakerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    I'd like some ideas for fermented feed feeders for adult birds. TYIA

2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now I am using the same trough feeder I was using when I was giving them dry feed,..
    [​IMG]

...but I am thinking of making a larger one with a removable 'roof' (or tray, I haven't decided which yet) to make it easier to pour in the wet fermented feed.

3. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Prior to starting with FF, I had a plastic hanging feeder where the hopper twisted into the plastic base. When I switched to ff, I feed too thick to use the hopper, but discovered that an old brooder lamp guard was the same size as the feeder dish. So I just drilled holes at four corners and it has worked great for my seven hens. For winter, I'm using a lightbulb in the block to keep from freezing. Easily refillable, easily washable when needed.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Have you seen those raised dog bowls? I made some out of plywood and glued legs onto the plywood, cut holes out so the bowls rest securely in the top. This elevates the FF so dirt and debris isn't kicked into it, and the chickens can't kick over the bowls.

This also permits me to take the bowls indoors every few days and wash them, keeping things clean.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I feed my chickens in shallow rubber bowls, plastic bowls (made by cutting the bottom off old 5 gallon buckets) and wooden troughs made out of old pallets.

[​IMG]

6. weirdlywired

weirdlywired Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Bellevue NE
    My Coop
    I would LOOOOOVE to see a picture of this?!

7. weirdlywired

weirdlywired Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Bellevue NE
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG] works for us

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. BakerGirl

BakerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016

These are all nice ideas. Thank you
    I ordered one of these. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. I'm setting it on cinder blocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by