Lets see your farm setup!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by secuono, Oct 15, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Like it says, lets see how your farm is set up!
    Last image shows a drawing I made, bottom center is the house, raised beds garden fills the whole front yard. Rest is labeled. At the top of the image and to the right of it is 4 acres of pasture for the horses and sheep. Following the two gates at the top left is the easement, one day it will be filled with fruit trees and/or for the rams. At the corner of the top right, a little ways behind the fence line is the barn. Then the hill goes out several yards all around the back and side of the house, drops off into the flat pasture that also surrounds the back and side.
    There are trees along the back fence, labeled, and the blue/purple hutches is where I'd like to move the current two as well as make 1-2 more and keep the rabbits there full time. But that's for next year.

Other pic show all the hay that got wet the other day and before, now is being used in the coop and all around the area. Total of 6 or so bales, it's also in the dog yard. It's mostly dry, but no longer any good for the sheep or horses.

So, lets see how you run your farm!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I don't have any pics, but here's my setup:

I have fenced in the center of my circle driveway with 5 foot rolled horse wire for a paddock (or quarantine for sick horses, new goats, whatever) and my birds live there. It is about a 1/4 to 1/2 acre size, and I just got done planting rye grass for the winter and they are already enjoying the lovely little shoots of grass coming up. I built a tall hill in the center (4 foot tall, 15 foot long and about 10 foot wide) for baby goats/chickens/whatever is currently in the pen to play on, added several HUGE stumps for king of the mountain games and the pen has water and electric available for cold nights, general cleaning, etc. The chickens have an enclosed shelter (a 10 foot across wire spool wrapped with very small diameter chicken wire - a June bug couldn't get through, complete with a tin roof and several perches) up on 3 foot legs (easy to clean inside/outside/underneath) that they sleep in at night and lay eggs in during the day (nest boxes inside with hay). I let them out at daybreak in the morning, and lock them up when they've gone inside to roost at dusk.

My water fowl live in the backyard at the moment in a pen that hubby built that can be moved with the forks on on the skidsteer when needed. Same as the hens, they have free roam all day and are locked up at night. They have a small baby pool to play in and lots of room for foraging for grass and bugs in the garden and flowerbeds. My intent for them is to make them my weeder geese and to move them into the garden next spring.

What i would love to have is an outdoor aviary for my cockatoo, chickens, water fowl and all. With a certain amount of elbow grease, I think they could co-exist in a disease free/clean environment and it would be fun. I've seen some really nice ones online. Only problem I haven't figured out, is how to keep out the little sparrows. Bad for cockatoos and similar species. Too many diseases to share.

The rest of the place is 22 acres of oak trees, ravines and creeks with a handful of wandering horses and goats.

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    oops

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I live on 2 acres, with 1 of them completely wooded. The goat pen goes down into woods, and they have done an excellent job of clearing everything.

[​IMG]

5. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Haha, I love how the cat house is out far away from the people house. [​IMG]

6. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Quote:The only reason its over there is because its easier for a routine. We feed the goats and chickens, and then feed the cats in their house, check the garden, and back down to the house.

They cats normally decided to sleep under the covered part of the deck by the house so they can look in though.

7. Ractay

Ractay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Winton, New Zealand
    Wow.. awesome set up guys! Will post pictures when i can of my place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by