Let's See Your Pictures Of Coop Rain Barrels

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calista, Sep 5, 2010.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    After getting a good deal on nine 55-gallon white food-grade barrels (five bucks each!) [​IMG], hubby and I cleaned out the honey syrup residues and painted them black to help prevent sunlight from encouraging algae growth. (Not that too much sunlight is a problem here in western Washington, ha, ha.) Now we'd like to set up what's called a PARALLEL RAIN BARREL SYSTEM outside the coop for refilling the waterers. Here's what I'm planning to have built:

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the picture, you can see that there's a single tap into the common pipe under the support, so that all the barrels drain evenly. I got the idea from hyperlinking off another garden article discussing rain barrel use in drought conditions:

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/audrey/water_barrel.htm

Even if all you have is a single rain barrel under a downspout on your coop, I'd love to see pictures of what you did and any info about how it's working for you. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Rain? What's that?

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    [​IMG]

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:It's what we've had for 6+ weeks straight. [​IMG]

5. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    oohh I like that set up

6. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Quote:It's that funny stuff that comes out of the skies in your area once in a blue moon as a FLASH FLOOD. [​IMG]

From the article:

"With water just a twist of a tap away, it's easy to feel complacent while watching news footage of sun parched arid lands. But as we enter into our forth year of drought conditions, with the heat index often in the high nineties, and with fields and lawns now brittle and brown, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore, especially when one is married to a Master Gardener whose life efforts are invested in two acres of gardens.

...A three-hour light rain filled our 18 barrels to overflowing. How quick your barrels fill depends upon how large the collection surface you use."

Just wait for the next flash flood! [​IMG]

7. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That is a great article; the instructions even sound like something I might be able to do myself (but I wont)...gonna have to talk to someone about this,,,

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Wow- what a great set up!

9. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have 2 barrels and can get more. I want to hook them up to my gutters as a reserviour for the garden.

10. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    wow how cool, I have spent the day building a rain barrel that will supply my nipple waterers in my new coop, since it freezes her a lot in the winter, I have to protect and heat it, I built a stand and put a plywood floor on that then I put sides and a top on, I then insulated it and put my white plastic barrel in, I started plumbing it but ran out of day, I have the supply line and the drain in still have to put the fill tube, lights and thermocube in, that's tomorrows project. the drain is set up so it takes water out of the bottom and the fill comes in to the top, this is so when it rains, the old water is drained and it is filled with fresh water, my hope is to have an automatic system that is freeze proof and requires no water line fort supply, so far I think it will work great, I will put pics up tomorrow, it will supply my new coops and my old coops, here is a link to my new coops it shows the nipple system so far

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375826

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by