Lets split a 25 chick order in Staten Island

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebifman, Jul 5, 2007.

1. thebifman

thebifman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Is there anyone in or near Staten Island, NY, that would like to split a 25 chick order? 25 chicks are just too much for me! I would like to get all hens since roosters are illegal in New York City. Thanks! I will be posting pictures of my brooder and coop as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Brian

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Nevermind the rooster, I didn't think y'all could have chickens in New York City! How on earth does that work? [​IMG] I've been to NYC once and I didn't see one patch of grass the whole week I was there. Except for that park.

Not trying to be rude, just curious.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  3. thebifman

Jul 5, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Believe it or not, there are no limits to the number of hens one may own in New York City. I believe the no rooster law is to stop illegal cock fighting. Staten Island is the most "suburban" borough in the city and my lot is 75' X 104' which is large by NYC standards. We also have chickens running wild in some of our larger cemeteries. We are also loaded with wild turkeys! I have also seen people raising chickens in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn but never in Manhattan, but who knows? So remember, NYC is much more than just Manhattan! Keep an eye out for future posts of my NYC coop & run!!!

Brian [​IMG]

4. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Hello, I am originally from SI but, have moved to southern Alabama. Where are you at on the Island? I was raised mostly in New Brighton. And you forgot to tell everyone about the deer there too. If I hear of anyone back home looking to get into an order, I will let you know. Good Luck finding someone otherwise. [​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    If you want just a small order and you want to make sure you get only females why not try mypetchicken.com. They do charge extra for a heat pad though.

6. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Why not post an add in your local Craigslist pet section (or farm & garden)? I see folks here in Maine giving away the extra chicks from their 25 chick orders that way.

Another thought: isn't it Ideal that has a minimum dollar amount but not chick number? I believe its $25 minimum, but you can get less chickens (6?), and sexed.

Stacey

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Ideal has a minimum of $20.00 not 25 chicks but if you only order like 10 chicks they'll add maybe 10-15 baby roosters for warmth. You have to get at least 25 chicks for them not to add any roos. Been there done that.

Try craigslist or mypetchicken.com. mypetchicken will ship as little as 3 (sexed) chicks. You'll pay $25.00 extra for the heat pad though.

8. thebifman

Jul 5, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Quote:I lived South Beach & New Brighton, but now i reside in West Brighton.

9. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Have you found anyone yet to split an order? I asked some people and am still waiting for any replies for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by