Let's start at the very beginning. That's a very good place to start!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SandraMort, Aug 9, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    When you read you begin with A, B, C.
    When you breed, you begin with... uh... if I KNEW, I wouldn't be asking!

I wanna be a Buckeye breeder when I grow up. There's more to it than just tossing some pullets and cockerels together, but I can only start with learning to care for them. So I've got fifteen pullet chicks and three cockerel chicks from Meyer, will let them grow up and see what happens. Next year, though, I don't know where to head. I want to help save the breed... what's the best route?

Also, what is a good basic book on breeding chickens?

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I don't no anything about breeding chickens but I think the biggest thing to watch is in-breeding. That can cause soooo many problems, not to mention it sounds wrong [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Sorry this is incorect. Line breeding in chickens is very common. Chickens aen't as genetically fragile as other animals. Breeders commonly breed back the best specimens in their lines. But it is also true you can also breed faults as well as the good traits.

Sandra, my best advise is to acquire the very best stock you can for the breed you desire. Also, read, read, read. Join breeders groups and learn from those who are breeding now. Know the APA Standard of Perfection.

Good luck. [​IMG]

4. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:Yes, I was aware of that, thank you.

Sandra, my best advise is to acquire the very best stock you can for the breed you desire.

Yeah. I asked around and from the general consensus, Meyer was decent. It's hard to be picky when so few people breed them, kwim? Anyway, I'm starting with fifteen and three from Meyer, but if next year I'm not happy with where I'm headed, I am already aware that I may need to cull/rehome everybody and start over. The first year, I'm thinking, is mostly for learning.

Also, read, read, read.

Thus the request for a book to begin with... gotta start at the beginning!

Join breeders groups and learn from those who are breeding now.

I signed up to one but the volume is *SO* low [​IMG] I can ask questions, but frankly, I learn MOST of what I've picked up so far from listening to other people's questions. Often I don't know enough to even have thought of the q yet.

Know the APA Standard of Perfection.

Where do I find those standards?

(edited to fix a typo)

Thank you!!!!

Good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Sorry this is incorect. Line breeding in chickens is very common. Chickens aen't as genetically fragile as other animals. Breeders commonly breed back the best specimens in their lines. But it is also true you can also breed faults as well as the good traits.

Sandra, my best advise is to acquire the very best stock you can for the breed you desire. Also, read, read, read. Join breeders groups and learn from those who are breeding now. Know the APA Standard of Perfection.

Good luck. [​IMG]

Oh, ok thank you for setting me straight Miss Prissy [​IMG] Like I said, I don't know anything about breeding [​IMG] I do know what line breeding is, but what about actually IN-breeding? Like brotherxsister stuff? Would it be the same?

7. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    THANKS!!!!! But I can't find it on their site [​IMG]

Quote:

8. buckeye chickens

buckeye chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Ohio
    First off buy a Standard and find a good breeder. Chickens from hatcheries are not going to be up to the Standard.
    Buckeyes should have stout muscular thighs, have a nice broad and round breast, be a dark mahogany all over with the males having some black coloring in there primaries and secondaries. And should not have any white feathers.
    Chickens from hatcheries will not be show birds and you should not breed with them. Good breeders will only breed there best birds and line breed them. If you know what you are doing line breeding is the best way to bring out the best in your flock.
    My web site is http://www.geocities.com/buckeye_chickens/

9. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:Buy a what? Where do I get it?

Chickens from hatcheries are not going to be up to the Standard.

Is this broad generalization for a reason? My naturally suspicious nature says you're angling for a sale, but it's possible you really do have a good reason. If so, what is it?

Chickens from hatcheries will not be show birds and you should not breed with them.

Does that matter if I think showing birds is boring?

If you know what you are doing line breeding is the best way to bring out the best in your flock.

I have to confess, this made me laugh. If I knew what I was doing, would I be basking a newbie q? That's why I was asking!​

10. line-rat

line-rat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    west central ohio
    try the Yahoo group Buckeye Breaders . you may also try the ALBC. the American Livestock Breed Conservency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by