Let's talk about Coryza

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carse, Dec 20, 2016.

1. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Hey there.i have a problem with some silkies chickens.pretty sure it's Coryza .i have heard people using t 50.giving 1/2 cc for 3 days.these birds are sick got yo do something fast.i have several years in work and now it's down the drain.i was told it couldn't be transmitted through the egg,is this right? Also is there a vaccine that anyone has used? Sure you need yo vaccinate the whole flock.the other thing is if i raise off these birds and kelp the chicks separated at a different location.hope someone out there if you went through this would share anyone information..thanks

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    What are their symptoms and how long has it been going on?

3. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Water eyes noise eyes swelling. They have no smell was told they would a bad smell.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Just want to thank you for the information .i have about 50/60 breeders, I have only the two that I've giving tylsnd50 to.raised all these birds it sure is heart breaking thing.look at getting them check out.do I need to be off Meds before I have this done? Thanks

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    To be honest, I am not sure if the meds will skew results or not. Your best bet is to contact who you choose to do the testing, they can tell you what they need and exactly how the testing is performed.

I'm sure you have already done so, but separate (quarantine) the 2 that are sick and make sure you have good bio-security measures in place to help reduce the spread of illness.

I wish you the best.

1 person likes this.
  7. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Thanks So much.Have S Merry Christmas

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome[​IMG]

Merry Christmas

9. RanchChic

RanchChic Just Hatched

Dec 3, 2016
    Decatur Tx
    I have five now that have the same thing but also have a rattle sound when they breath and one is sneezing! [​IMG] they are separated now! The more I read the more it sounds like every sickness has the same signs! [​IMG] I may just have to cull tomorrow.[​IMG] but I have to decide if I will cull all 46 birds if needed before I start [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. carse

carse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Hate to hear that,it vaccine mine to day with ty50.the first ones that got sick are doing fine.they don't look like they every been sick.the only thingbegat I've read and people gas told me,is that birds with coryza that will have a bad smell .mine dont.wgat ever it is gas affected but birds.in going to have my test.is would gate to cull them and it just a cold.in raised these birds last year as chicks.there another 65 of them.please keep me posted on yours.hope they get better soon.thanks

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by