Let's talk about Gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have a rooster who over the past couple of weeks has presented the following symptoms:

• Soft, thinning feathers on his neck with a few sores
    • A turning/twisting motion with his neck
    • Diminishing crow, would begin to crow and stop in the middle of it, progressing to no crow at all now
    • Runny nose, some sneezing
    • Rattling
    • Occasional mouth breathing

No lethargicness
    No loss of appetite
    No loss of energy

The best reply I got on here had to do with mites. We went that route, clearing out and treating the coop and the flock. Never seeing even 1 mite during the process within the bedding or coop. That was Sunday. But you know, I was going to clear out and clean coops during spring break anyway, so got it done early.

Today, I started researching respiratory illnesses in poultry. The handful of illnesses mentioned didn't match our rooster's symptoms or behavior at all. But while researching, I came across a mention of Gapeworm. As I kept on reading, looking at images, and videos, it was clear that this is what most matches my rooster's symptoms.

Gapeworms gather in the throat, potentially causing the bird to suffocate. It causes the rattling sound when they breath, causes a runny nose. Although I didn't see any mention of this impacting the crow, it would make sense to me that it would make it hard to crow if ones throat was full of worms. I saw the turning/twisting motion of the neck in a few videos of birds who had Gapeworms, exactly the same motion my rooster is doing from time to time.

I'm taking him into a vet this afternoon so he can be checked by a professional, rather than me, Ms. Google-Vet. I will report back here on what he is diagnosed with.

If you have experiences with Gapeworm in your flock, please add your thoughts here.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If he's been eating and drinking, I doubt it would be gapeworm. It would then be a respiratory infection.

3. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Such as what? I'm not finding one that matches his symptoms.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A respiratory disease doesnt necessarily have to show ALL the symptoms. You could be dealing with MG, IBV, or coryza. Make sure you bring a fresh poop sample to your vet to detect ANY type of worms/cocci occysts IF in fact that's what you think your dealing with. Gapes are not common in chickens, mainly pheasants.
    Here's a link to respiratory diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Yes, I did read that link earlier today, among others. I will bring the sample with me to the vet and post here the conclusion.

If you have had experience with Gapeworms in your flock, can you post a few bullets here around symptoms you personally observed?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Thanks for the input and links.

Hoping others will chime in with some of their experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by