Lets talk automatic doors for the chicken coop!!

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello all! Winter is coming and as of now, our coop door is attached to our run so our 6 chickens can come and go from their coop into their run everyday. With winter coming, and cold weather, i need to consider a door for the coop. I would ideally prefer an automatic door that will open every morning for them. I am here to ask for advice on a good brand or design. I have read stories of chickens getting smooshed! I would also prefer a battery operated door that will open on a timer daily for the winter. Thanks in advance! 🐓❤️

Ador1 has done a great job for us.

Ours is a year and a half old and has operated smoothly from day one. Runs on a 9v battery which we just now replaced (easy) more out of caution than for any other reason. Opens and closes in response to the sun, and the sensitivity is significantly adjustable. A wired sensor is mounted somewhere outside on the coop. The birds become attuned to the noise it makes when operating - no squished birds.

Normal operation can be easily circumvented if you need to keep the coop closed for some reason.

Automatic doors aren’t cheep 🙄 but well worth the added security and convenience.

Yes, run is predator proof. Vinyl flaps will be to keep out winter drafts.
Doesn't the coop have a pop door? If the pop door is closed at night, there will be no drafts, and if it's open during the day but the chickens are outside, drafts in the coop during the day would be irrelevant. Also, drafts only matter if they are at roost level, or if they bring moisture in from rain/snow blowing through the pop door. If the roost is above the level of the pop door (as it should), drafts from the pop door won't get to the chickens. The dangerous kind of draft is one that ruffles the chickens' feathers and breaks the insulation that they provide. Air moving below or above the roost is not a problem. The goal isn't to keep the coop warm, but to keep it dry. If the coop has enough open ventilation (as it should), at the top (as it should), then warm air will escape through it and the inside and outside temperature will be pretty much the same. Which is fine, as long as the coop is dry and wind isn't blowing directly on the chickens and breaking their feather seal.

Ador1 has done a great job for us.

Ours is a year and a half old and has operated smoothly from day one. Runs on a 9v battery which we just now replaced (easy) more out of caution than for any other reason. Opens and closes in response to the sun, and the sensitivity is significantly adjustable. A wired sensor is mounted somewhere outside on the coop. The birds become attuned to the noise it makes when operating - no squished birds.

Normal operation can be easily circumvented if you need to keep the coop closed for some reason.

Automatic doors aren’t cheep 🙄 but well worth the added security and convenience.
Fully agree on Ador. I've had one for 2 years, just added a second coop and another Ador door. Predators cannot get the door open once it's closed. I can use it on automatic (light sensing) or manual. Well built and owner will answer any questions. American made!

Definitely install the door a few inches above the top of whatever it has to swing over. If it is a guillotine door, mount the frame high enough that litter will be a few inches lower than the bottom of the frame.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom