Let's talk Brahmas!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bbecca, Jan 14, 2017.

1. bbecca

bbecca Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Hi all, I have a few questions about Brahmas but also would love to see any pics of yours and/or any opinions on the breed,etc. so please share!

I am looking to get 2 hens and a Roo as day old chicks in March. I will also be getting some other breeds as well. My concern is that they have feathered feet. The floor of my run is covered with sand. We also live in an area where it rains a lot thru the fall and winter and So the sand does get wet about 2 ft. inside on both sides. Do they require extra care as maybe wet sand, dirt or poop get caught in their feathered feet?
    My other question is, I already have a very sweet BO Roo. I will be intergrating these chicks with my existing flock. I heard that Brahmas are layed back with other roosters and they don't mind sharing a flock. Has anyone had experience with this?
    Thanks in advance!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Hello,
    Did you see the Brahma thread on here? Lots of super knowledgable people there.
    I have three Brahma in my very mixed flock. Mellow, laid back gentle giants is the way I would describe all of mine. I am on my kindle so am not sure how to add a pic.
    The leader of my odd ball flock is my bantam cochin lol. The Brahma actually rank pretty close to the bottom just because they are in fact that mellow.
    [​IMG]

There we go. That would be my dark Brahma Cinders next to Smudge, one of the bantam cochins.

I am not sure I would keep more then one rooster unless I had at least 20 hens. How many birds in your current flock?

3. bbecca

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    Thank you. I will look around for the brahma thread. I'm still learning my way around on here :) great pic of your flock, love that the small Cochin is the leader lol. I have 5 hens and one rooster now. I'm adding 10-12 more as chicks. Glad to here how mellow the brahmas are, thank you for your response

4. bbecca

May 24, 2016
    Oregon
    @big medicine thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by