Let's talk broody..Update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I think I have a broody. All of my chickens go up on the roost at night but tonight I have a Barred Rock sitting on 11 eggs in a nest box. She's not grumpy yet, well she did peck me when I took the eggs to mark them.

Never had a broody before...what do I do?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    See if she stays on the nest tomorrow.

If she is broody she'll sit on those eggs except to eat & poop.

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I hope she is broody! I want chickies again!!!

So I marked the eggs she's on. Anything else I need to do if she is broody?

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My broodys poo in there nest and got crazy mean.[​IMG].

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Since you want more chicks, I'll cross my fingers that she is definitely broody for you! [​IMG] Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    She has to be broody, what now?

7. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    We always put our broodies in a seperate pen. On each end of the chicken coop we added a seperate little house and enclosed top to bottom small yard.

We use these for broodies, hens that need seperating and chicks that bought from the feed store.

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    She's driving me NUTS! She was in the box all day long. I went out to check on her and I got there just in time to see her pop out an egg. Now there's a leghorn in the box. Oh well...

9. flinthillbillie

flinthillbillie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Flint Hill, VA
    I had my first broody hen this spring. Every day she let other hens get in with her and add to the clutch. I finally went out one night, candled all the eggs and let her keep 12 that looked to be viable and at about the same stages as each other (at least I felt that was what I did - it was a first for me!),, and marked them as well. Then I barricaded her off from the others for a few days just to stop them from adding more. I couldn't easily keep her barricaded since she was in an upper box and still needed to get out for fresh air, exercise, food and water and once I moved the barricade, the others started adding their eggs again. At least I could then remove the unmarked ones and still get some breakfast! In hindsight, I should have moved her eggs into a nesting area on the floor early on and penned that off instead to where she could get off the nest but still have a safe place once the chicks hatched. As it was, she got 4 beautiful chicklets for all her labors and it was a wonderful experience for me. I hope yours is too!

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    She has completely snapped out of it. What a rotten trick to play on me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by