Let's Talk Feeding Legumes...

PrairieFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Hi! I'm fairly new here and been lurking through old threads. Some serious knowledge here!
So...I've got a question for you folks.
I've got a mixed flock of chickens (mostly Buckeyes but I'm also getting some Freedom Rangers), turkeys (White Hollands), mixed variety of ducks and a few geese (American Buff). My birds are all locked up together at night in a large coop (well, except the turkeys, who roost on it) and then let out during the day to free range at will.
I'm very interested in feeding locally grown, organic feeds. Why? Well because I'm a vegetable farmer myself and I can grow some things (within reason) and my neighbors can grow lots more. I want to support my local farmers plus I can buy feed WAY cheaper from them in bulk. I have access to a few different feed things (I'll start a different thread about that) but I'm very curious about legumes as I raise a fair amount of them myself and often have "rejects" from my crop that I could use for my birds.
I have read, of course, that legumes can be tricky for birds. So here's what I have access to and curious what you folks think about them. Can I use the following items if I either sprout or cook them? Also I have a hammer mill so I could mill things as well.
#1 - Fava Beans - these are the small seeded (cover crop) type not the huge shelling/broad bean type. One year I threshed these and the birds went crazy eating them wherever they were dropped. Bad, now I hear. Although after that year when I have offered them they won't eat them. Another year when they were planted by the coop, the birds were obsessed with pulling up the young plants as they just started to emerge (sprouts!). Especially the ducks.
#2 - Dry Beans. I grow a lot of dry beans for local human consumption. I always have a fair amount of rejects. They are often "split" beans so I couldn't sprout those. But can I cook them and feed them? If so, how cooked. Boiled? Roasted?
#3 - Peas. These seem less problematic for the birds from what I've read. However...when I've offered them whole the birds didn't seem to excited about them. Mill them?

Thanks! Like I said, I'll start another thread soon on the other things I have access to (grains and what not) for my feed. Curious to see what ideas people have about the beans however.

You should probably grind the peas before feeding them to your flock. Peas are pretty tough and big, so I imagine that your birds would like them better if they weren't so hard to eat. It's worth trying, anyway.

I'm not sure about the beans. I've also heard that they aren't good for chickens, although I can't remember why that was. Sorry, I really don't have any ideas.
hmm.png

I hope that your flock appreciates your effort to give them locally grown food!

Mine don't have any issues with peas. I sprout them first. My ducks really like alfalfa pellets, I got them a bag because they were sorting through all my hay and trashing it while looking for little tasty bits they could swallow.

I feed mine raw split peas (see the recipe on my BYC page if you are interested) and there is a "dose," above which, they bill them out on the ground. The same holds true for flax seeds and pumpkin seeds.

They will claw their way to eat the other components of my recipe, though!

I would cook all beans (or sprout them) as they contain anti-nutrients from what I have read. Peas do also, but in very much lower amounts. I can try to dig up a website that says this if you are interested. I found it once or twice before.

Sorry I don't know fava beans. I have fed my chickens cooked other beans (leftovers) before with no problems. They loved them.

Quote:
Thanks CAS! I checked out your website and recipes. I'm also in the Pacific Northwest! One question - is there any particular nutritional reason you feed them such a mix of items (or is it just for fun?).

What about alfalfa with turkeys? I read somewhere that alfalfa can cause turkey meat to taste bitter, I think. I have about 5 acres of alfalfa fields and I have been thinking about getting some of the portable electric poultry fence and moving the birds through those fields.

Quote:
Thanks CAS! I checked out your website and recipes. I'm also in the Pacific Northwest! One question - is there any particular nutritional reason you feed them such a mix of items (or is it just for fun?).

I am aiming for a certain protein level, and also I have read that the barley and oats shouldn't be more than a certain percentage of the feed. I haven't formulated anything taking into account amino acids and other nutritional profiles like some BYC'ers do.

I figure it's good enough because my flock lays well, is happy and healthy, and they have a variety of grains and seeds to choose from daily to increase or decrease their daily protein levels based upon need.

Back
Top Bottom