Let's talk Guinea Pigs..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Totes Quackers, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    My 10yr old son is looking for his very own pet, this will be his responsibility (obviously I will help) but was thinking of guinea pigs? Are they a good 'starter' pet? We already own 2 dogs, a cat, 6 chooks, a duck and a bearded dragon but he wants something that is his own, can they live inside or should they be outside in a hutch?
    Thanks all [​IMG]

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I show guinea pigs in 4-H.
    They are pretty low matnince, they are easy to groom the only thing that is hard is they do need to have their cage cleaned at least once a week and the really bad parts spot cleaned twice a week or more. I don't use pet store bedding for them I use wood stove pellets (cheaper and is better oder block) but they don't eat to much jsut a bowl of pellets and some fresh friut that is high in Vit. C everyday (guinea pigs like people can't produce there own) mine prefere Parseley to anything else. If you have any other questions fire away. Mine live in the house but some people keep their's in their garage. As for them being a good starter pet it all depends on the work the kid is willing to do.

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Yup, I got into guinea pigs through 4-H as a kid. Was a good experience all around, and I think the showing and exhibition side of things only helped me appreciate them more and grow in confidence even as a painfully shy kid. My first guinea pig was a tri-roan teddy. He slept under my chin, and I loved him dearly. Guinea pigs tame down well for pets, but their skittish nature helps teach kids how to handle animals gently. The males are a bit more work because you have to make sure their pouches don't get impacted. I used vitamin-C powder in the water, but now they have lots of pellets with it included. But, the food usually isn't as stable and will have to be used or thrown out faster. They play with their water and food, so buying guinea pig designed feeders and waterers will help avoid a huge mess. Kept mine in clear tupperware with a screen lid and paper based pellets (ie. yesterday's news), which worked great. Kept him in my room, so low smell in that sort of set up if kept clean. Males do put out a must when sexually aroused, and both genders need a scraper or descalent because their urine has lots of minerals in it and will build up otherwise. I don't like drop pans with guinea pigs. Largely because of the way they play with water, you'll usually end up with what looks and smells and is a sewer situation. Nasty.

Love their little squeaks and noises. They can be trained very easily to stand up and beg for treats. Mine tended not to use the bathroom outside of their cage, which was nice. They can be really cuddly and loving, but some breeds are a bit more standoffish in general than others. Rats are a more interactive and intelligent pet in general, but pigs are nice for something that can be used in projects (4-H) and is a gentle animal.

4. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    I think they are the best pet for kids to start with because they don't chew on things as bad ,aren't as likely to climb and are easy to handle. And they come in a vast aray of neat colors and markings. They are slow producers so you don't get over run in a hurry like other critters either. And since babys are born min adults you don't have the fragile very dependent babys of oyher animals.
    A couple of my smooth hairs
    [​IMG]
    this is lefty and righty,they have the same black spot except on different sides and are not related at all!
    [​IMG]
    one of my Absyanians,I love the curls and swirls of this breed
    [​IMG]
    another Absyanian,I love this "yellow" color and hope she passes it along to some babys
    [​IMG]
    this is a peruvian male,he is one of the largest guniea pigs I have ever seen. His hair has been cut! It can get to be 8-9 inches long!
    [​IMG]
    this gilr is black,white and yellow and half absyanian and half peruvian.
    [​IMG]
    most are super friendly but occasionaly one will have an attitude. They love carrots and watermellon and grass. Mine are placed in a cage on the ground everyday so they can "graze" to their hearts content. They will eat an extronary amount of food in a day if given free choice.

5. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I had guinea pigs as a child and now have them for my kids and I have to say they are the best caged pet for kids. We've done the mouse/hamster/gerbil thing and was happy to go back to the little piggies. They love attention and have quite the vocabulary of squeeks and whistles.

Their cages do need to be cleaned out regularly, how often depends on what kind of bedding you use. I like carefresh, but it's kind of pricy. I also put a little stalldry underneath the carefresh to help keep it dry.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Remember to verify the sexes if you get more than one as they really shouldn't be bred if they are older than 6 months.

6. Rollerman

Rollerman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    One of mine is haveing babys right now! I can see two but looks like she is trying to have another. I will try and get some clear pics tomorrow. What agreat fathers day gift! Guess I'll be keeping these around just because!~lol

7. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thankyou so much for all the great advice! Are they social animals, should we get 2 instead of 1? My son is a very gentle soul, he loves caring for animals and spends most of his time with our animals. He has autism and i think it relax's him to be around animals. Plus there is no 'social' expectations with an animal, he can chat away in his jibberish and they don't mind!!
    Good Luck Rollerman on the new babies.. hope to see pics!!
    Here in Australia we don't have Father's Day until September!

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Yes two is the best bet they seem happier togather. Plus when they are togather they talk more with the sqeeks and all the other noises they make.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by