Let's talk Pop Doors...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBajan, Apr 2, 2018.

1. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    Hello again,
    I'm back with a couple of questions. The most important question is how big should a pop door be? We have some large breeds like Brahmas and Orpingtons. I'd also love pictures, opinions, ideas on automatic pop doors.
    Thanks! The adventure continues...

dvmmom likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They can be any size but at least 18" high and 12" -18" wide is good depending on how many birds you're talking about.
    Do you want to buy an automatic door or design/build your own?

3. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I read somewhere that you don't want the door to be high enough for the chicken to stand up in as some bossy ones may just stand there and block the door.

Here is the door I built.

JT

4. TheBajan

TheBajan Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Davisburg, Michigan
    Looking to design and build my own

5. h c hennery

h c hennery Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Our openings are 10"x12" (covered by 12"x14" cookie sheets), but our birds may be smaller than yours. We have three 10-month old hens: a Buff Orpington, a Plymouth Barred Rock, and a Red Star. We also created a 12"x12" chunnel that leads to a bigger run -- they can pass each other in it. We use the ChickenGuard door opener; we like it.

Attached Files:

TheBajan likes this.
  6. sillybirds

sillybirds Songster

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I recently converted my coop's pop door to function automatically by timer to keep rodents out at night. My design was based on Sow Edible's design, also utilized by Red Tool House, who has a good video on YouTube. It uses a linear actuator, which is ideal in my opinion, because it functions to open/close and lock door all in one.
    IMG_0103.JPG

7. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    The danger of using a linear actuator is it can crush a chicken. Careful attention has to be paid to the closing time. If the linkage was free to move and a micro switch could detect a jammed door it would be a perfect setup.

JT

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Songster

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    jthornton likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: