Let's talk solar power

greyfields

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Washington State
I have searched the archives for people using solar powered lights in their hen house. My coops range the pasture, so I would like to avoid dragging an extension cord hundreds of feet every week to the new location.

Who has managed to rig a simple solar powered panel, battery, timer and light into their hen house? Is their an off-the-shelf product I can just goggle and buy, or is this going to be extreme electrical DIY?

It's getting to the time of year where we all need to be thinking about supplemental lighting for our layers.

I had not thought of solar for the hens, but I have solar lights all over my yards. The gardener kept breaking my wires with his weed eater. I will take one in the coop this evening and see how much light it gives in an enclosed space. My coop is 4x4x6tall. I'll let you know tomorrow.

I had read those articles (thanks for linking them) but stopped reading at this point:

We purchased our components new at retail for about $760, and some were oversized for the immediate need.

I could buy a heifer calf for that much dosh.

LOL...This is true! There are a lot of really resourceful people out there who have made solar "things" out of recycled items....Many resourceful people on BYC! Hopefully we'll hear from them!!

Thank you for the compliment. My wife does graphic design, art and websites.... unfortunately ours always comes last, so I hacked together most of the Greyfields site. :| Not our best effort.

But, yes, we eat very very well now. Essentially, my customers pay for my wife and I to eat our own grown food now, which cuts way back on the Costco bills!! If you ever think about doing sales, feel free to contact me regarding egg and meat chicken sales. The laws do vary state by state, but I found my chicken interest has developed into a decent little business which pays for the hobby.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom