Let's talk turkey

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GrayDragon, Oct 11, 2009.

1. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    What kind of turkey should I get? My husband is leaning towards those that can self-replicate, but there seems to be issues with getting those shipped to MN. I'm looking to get 4-6 turkeys, leaning towards 6 as there are 4 folks who want a Thanksgiving turkey and that gives us a couple spares.

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Are you planning on turkeys for this Thanksgiving or next? A lot will depend on when you're planning to process, and what you expect from a turkey. The broad breasted ones are bred for short life spans and quick growth. I've only raised one group of turkeys, and that was the kind we had. Well, have.. We butchered 4 yesterday at about 15 weeks of age, and plan to do the other 9 we have ( we got too many!) in the next 2 weekends.

I'm not sure how others grow, etc- so hoping someone will pop in and help you out soon.

Quote:

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Self-replicating turkeys! Holy cow! What will they think of next? I need some of those. [​IMG]

Sorry. I know you meant natural reproduction, but I could couldn't get the picture out of my head of a turkey walking into a shed and then walking back out with several clones.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    There is a big taste difference between Heritage turkeys and the Broad Breasted varieties. Age being the biggest factor in that difference, Heritage take close to 6-8 months to grow. A Broad Breasted variety only takes about 14 weeks to get to the same size.

Regardless of what you choose.... order extras... especially if you have them for peoples Thanksgiving dinners.

Another thing... I hope these are for next years Thanksgiving as it's too late to get poults this year. But if your looking to breed them, then now is the time to buy them if you can find them.

Good luck,

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    I like Bourbon Reds for the balance of size, taste, and the ability to self-replicate. [​IMG]

And they are very pretty birds.

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Quote:Are those considered Heritage?

7. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    What about Royal Palm?

I can get a bourbon red tom for $25 , its an adult... if I got it and wanted it for Thanksgiving dinner would it have to be a certain age , do they get too old to butcher?

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:Are those considered Heritage?

Yes.

And I think Royal Palms are too small for a meat turkey. I have mine for lawn ornaments.

9. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Anything over a year old on turkey is going to be too tought for the traditional Thanksgiving dinner...

Both are Heritage turkeys..... Bourbons are my favorite too! Good meat and they are absolutely beautiful birds.

10. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Cool thanks ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by