Let's Talk Wing Bands! (Please!)

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
I've never used wing bands before but would like some sort of identification that (more than likely) will not come off. It will be a way to correctly identify each bird I've ever had from a chick.

1. Where do you get them?

2. Can you use lamb ear tags?

3. Is there a special tool you need to use in order to put them on your birds?

4. What age can you put them on your chicks?

5. Can you put wing bands on your older birds?

6. To remove, do you just use wire cutters?

7. Will the hole remain and never fill in?

8. I'm assuming no lead and only stainless steel?

Quote:
Cuttlersupply, lamb tags too large, yes, a special tool, Any age, yes, yes, they make very smell hole and really there is no reason to take them off, Aluminum. Don

Good questions! I'd like to know as well. As for the lamb tags, are you talking about the small metal ones, or the colored plastic tags? I would think the plastic ones would be too heavy and bothersome on a wing?

Yes I'm sorry, just the small metal ones. They look very similar to the wing bands.

The hole I was asking about in case the band happened to fall out.

Also, am I correct in thinking the wing band goes inbetween the radial and ulnar bones in the wing?

Is there a sizing chart I need to look at to order the correct size or is it pretty much one size fits all?

Thanks Don. I sure wish they make some kind of either wing or leg band that was easy to read from a distance, AND stay on. I used the plastic "Bandettes" on my older birds, and either the weather freezing and warming, or just wear and tear, has caused some of them to fall off after about 4 months.
roll.png
Thankfully, I still have a small flock and still can pick out who is who!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom