Lets talk Wyandottes!

CuzChickens

CountryChick
7 Years
Apr 24, 2016
Virginia
Hey folks, I love Wyandottes. Alot. I got my first 8 SLW 5 weeks ago as day old chicks from Meyer Hatchery. Well, now they are 5 weeks old and one of them does not have the walnut comb the rest of them have. Is this typical????? It just has the common single comb. The feather coloration and pattern looks right, just not the comb. One of my other ones has the walnut comb like they should have and the same feather coloration, but not pattern. Each feather has black and white on it, but not laced. Is that common? I get that blue genes might be like that, but these are black and white, not blue. (The one on the very right is a black australop, not SLW

Please share your pics! Here are some of mine! Enjoy!

I have several wyandottes... one of them, my golden laced, has a full single comb! I was totally perplexed... it is most certainly a hen as she lays eggs... but I guess she's a mutt or a mutation... wait and see!

OoOh! I love GLW!!!! Every time I go to order them they are out of stock, so I have yet to get them, but they are one of my favorites! The chicken seems fine, I just thought it was interesting that it had a single comb, but it is a great chicken and i am not planning on breeding it, so it should just be fine for laying purposes.

Wyandottes are supposed to have a rose comb. The single comb is recessive and can pop up from time to time, particularly in hatchery stock. If you plan to breed them, I would avoid using the one with the single comb. Juveniles don't usually have nice clean lacing like the adults should. It should improve a lot as they grow up, though it's not uncommon to see incomplete lacing in the hatchery ones. You'll be able to better tell what they will look like when they are about 3 months old.

i am getting some blue laced red wyandottes on Friday.. I'm so excited!!
1f61d.png

Oh My goodness! I know this is a little late. I was out of town. How are they? I am hoping to get some next year along with GLWs. Where did you get yours?

Back
Top Bottom