Let's try again.... SILKIE ROOSTER OR HEN?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bugglesmommy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Imogene

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Gene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

HELP!!!!!!

I am still unsure if my 24 week old silkie Imogene is really a Gene. No eggs, No crowing or obvious rooster behavior. Better pics this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that it is a pullet, but I'm not a Silkie expert.

3. bugglesmommy

So far I am getting Pullet. Can anyone tell me why it seems that way?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, the comb is not all that large. Silkie roosters, while they won't develop huge combs, will get large, redder ones. Your bird has a squat stance, whereas a rooster would stand taller. Also, I don't see any "streamers". Streamers are longer, kind of thin feathers that project from the head of Silkie males. Here's an example:

[​IMG]
    See those longer, thinner feathers projecting out of this birds crest? Those are streamers.

Hope I've helped!

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet. At 24 weeks that comb is small with no color (some Silkie roosters get a lot of red comb color, and even pullets will go a little red when they come into lay, but this is mostly with hatchery stock). Head fluff afro is very nice and neat, no long wiry strands that would signal cockerel.

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahck, too late [​IMG] What Wyandottes said!

7. bugglesmommy

Thank you guys!!! I have some pretty sweet birds, but she is by far my tamest. I am quite relieved. She is my sole silkie survivor. Every other silkie I tried to raise us this year were killed by predators. 2 to a snake, 2 to a raccoon. Nasty vermin only went after my silkies.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by