Letter to Neighbors

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HEChicken, Nov 15, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Awhile back I remember reading a post about a letter someone had written to their neighbors explaining the basis for compensation (after the neighbor's dog had killed their chicken). I've done a search but can't find that letter. I'm hoping someone else has it bookmarked and can help? As I recall it was a very well-written, non-threatening letter explaining what it costs to raise/replace a laying hen, contained instructions for paying the bill, and also detailed the next step the writer intended to take if the neighbor refused to pay the bill. I'm in a similar situation now and would like to reference that letter while writing my own. TIA....

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
  3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Oh, I am so lucky. My neighbor's two labs came and killed a couple of my call ducks and I think 3 of my chickens. They were also attacking our golden retriever. My husband tried to shoot the dogs and chased them home (about 1 mile away). He talked to the dog's owner and the dog owner said he would pay whatever I wanted for replacement. This was even after my husband told him if those dogs come in our yard again they would be dead. I waited till spring and ordered 8 mallards and 5 call ducks and he paid for them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by