Letterboxers.... anyone here??

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by GwenDellAnno, Sep 20, 2009.

1. GwenDellAnno

GwenDellAnno Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Does anyone here letterbox?

2. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:For those unfamiliar with the term, here is a neat website:
    http://www.letterboxing.org/

My granddaughter does and has a great time with her friends.

3. GwenDellAnno

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Also... www.atlasquest.com. It's more of a social networking site (than letterboxing.org) as well as listing clues. I'm addicted!!

4. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    We Geocach.

5. GwenDellAnno

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    Well, I paid $120 for a 3-D topo program that didn't work and so I have (for the time being anyways) given up on geocaching. I really like the creative aspect of inking the stamp, taking and leaving an image and carving my own images to plant.

6. welman

welman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We do a bit! This summer we just planted our first boxes..in the past few years we've just looked for them.

Have you ever joined any of the letterboxing meetings? I've read about them and wondered...

7. GwenDellAnno

Jul 18, 2009
    Water Valley, AB
    I went to one event/gathering last fall and the second is coming up this weekend. I'm expecting to reach 100 traditional finds this weekend. I am limited in the amount that I can travel for this (and the only ones closer than a 3 hr drive are the ones I've planted), but whenever I have to travel somewhere, I try to plan letterboxing around my trips.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I Geocache and Letterbox, but I've only done a few of the letterboxes so far. I got started because my GPS led me to a Cache and it turned out to be a Letterbox less than two feet from the Cache I was aiming for!

9. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Didn't I see this on CSI or NCIS?!?! The did an episode that revolved around it. [​IMG]

I also remember a book that was published in 2006 or 2007 that the story followed the idea and then in the book were hits to find boxes that were really out there. Each box had a piece of bug jewelry in it that valued between $500 and $15k!

My mom got the book, I just can't remember what it was called... something to do with bugs and gems!?

10. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have never heard of this before reading about it on here. but I told one of my best friends and she and I will be going this week out to find our first letterbox and we are planning on setting our first box this week too... we have a perfect place to put one in mind!!! this looks like a VERY cool family hobby... thanks to you all for informing me about this hobby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by