Letters of recommendation...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Does anyone else hate asking for them? I'm filling out internship applications and had to ask for two letters for each app. I always feel like I am inconveniencing the person and then if they say yes, I always worry about getting all the paperwork in on time. Sometimes the people I ask are great and send it in right away, but sometimes they wait until the last minute and I am constantly on my toes! I ALWAYS appreciate when someone does a letter for me, but this has always been stressful. Soon I'll have to ask for letters to apply to grad/med schools. That should be fun! [​IMG]

Right now one of the professors I asked for a letter said she would do it, but she is not very good with answering emails. I still have until next Tuesday to get everything for the application in, so I will try to stop by and see her in person. Everything else for the application is done, but I always worry when I rely on other people! In the end I know everything will get sent on time, but it never ceases to be nerve wracking for me!

Funny thing is that whenever I've been asked to write a letter of recommendation for someone, I never mind. I don't get why I still feel like it is an inconvenience for others! I do have a backup who already has a letter written that she submitted for another application, but I still worry!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To make it easier on people I ask, I usually give them what I am applying for, all the materials that go with what I'm applying for (so they know what it is), a statement of objective/goals, college transcripts, and my CV. Then I try to ask the same people again and again if I can because they have one already written. LOL

I don't really think there is an easy way.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Yeah, that's pretty much what I do as well! It took me forever to get all my information neatly together to send to each of the people I asked. I even offered to meet with them in person, but they all knew me well enough not to need to.

I've used the same letter of recommendation for scholarship applications for the past three years now and they keep giving me awards! They must like the letter, even though I've used it over and over again LOL

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've been asked to write several letters of reference lately, for employees or former employees applying for special programs in college. I do not mind doing them for people that truly were exceptional employees. It is a joy to be able to praise them.
    But for less "responsible" employees I usually pass.

Imp

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Well that's good to know! I haven't been passed up yet...

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Imp said!

7. RoeDylanda

RoeDylanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Central CT
    Back when I was teaching nursing students, I got asked for letters all the time. I declined a few students because I honestly couldn't recommend them for nursing jobs-- if my answer to, "Would I want this person caring for my parents, or my children?" is "No" then I would not write the letter. I had one student who tried to talk me into it anyway, and when I kept refusing her I honestly thought she was going to lean across the desk and slap me. I think it was the first time in her life she heard an actual "No." [​IMG]

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Hi Laurennnn!

I hate asking for them too. My advisor, who is also my poultry instructor, tells me about all poultry scholarships going on, and then always writes me a LOR for each one. I have my group of people I ask and they're always happy to write one for me. My main thing is letting them know ahead of time so they Dont have to rush and do it.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It is ALOT easier to write them for people who give you all of the information you need ahead of time. Please tell me what the letter is for. Scholarship, internship, job?? Tell me to whom to address it, give me their address, tell me the deadline etc etc.

Generally speaking if I don't get that at first, I will ask for it. If I don't get it then I don't do the letter...... I should not have to look up the person to whom the letter should be addressed.

Last pet peeve on these (I write four or five every semester) I am an adjunct. In many cases I have to write the letter and send it to the staff. They print it out on letterhead and then mail it to me. I sign it and THEN I can mail it to you or them........ Yes, this is a stupid, time wasting system. I am not the one who invented it. Either ask me BEFORE the end of the semester or after the beginning of the next semester......

I really don't mind writing them, but they are a pain if the student does not meet me more than half way!

I have only declined once - same reason given - it was a nursing position and I knew if I had walked into an ER and found this person there I would have grabbed the nearest ambulance out!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No really she is a nurse today........

10. RoeDylanda

RoeDylanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Central CT
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have only declined once - same reason given - it was a nursing position and I knew if I had walked into an ER and found this person there I would have grabbed the nearest ambulance out!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No really she is a nurse today........

I hear that! Thanks for saying no. The worst thing is to let people slip through who shouldn't be there...it's terrifying! I don't mean to be a hag about it, but new grad nurses are the ones on at 3 am when things get ugly in a hurry and orders get written by tired, stressed out interns under battlefield conditions-- I wrote glowing letters for the students I know will remember what to look for, what to do and how to double check, and NO letters for the ones who just follow along blindly.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by