1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Letting a brood loose

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LocoPollo, Aug 15, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Would it be safe to let all my 5 week old speckled sussex out of their run into the yard with my Old English? I experimented a bit letting them out and of course they were all pecked at by the OE's. Is all that natural and will work itself out? Or do I need to wait till the sussex are bigger? The OE's are a bit aggressive. And yea, I am a total chicken newbie!

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I would wait until they are at least close to the same size and even then, have an area where they can get away from the older ones.
    Some people have a wire separation with an opening only the smaller ones can fit through just in case.
    Better safe than sorry!
    I don't turn mine out into the main coop until they are 8 wks old and fully feathered. All are separated by age/breed.
    Good luck!!
    [​IMG]

3. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Do you keep each breed in a separate coop?

4. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Yes, I keep all of mine in separate coops. I've got the Buff Orpingtons in one coop, they are all a bit over 1 yr old and I've got 23 Black Copper Marans to go in the 2nd coop. Right now they are in my house because our Alabama weather decided to be at least 10 to 15 degrees cooler at night than usual. They are 1 week and a few days old right now and VERY active! LOL.
    I hear peeping and fluttering in my sleep anymore.

My coops are built so they have a brooder area in the back of each one that can be closed off by a pop door until they are old enough to go into the main coop.
    The Buff Orp coop I had with a light when they were little but this one is across the barnyard and I don't have electricity to it yet. I'd have to run it across the pasture and our horses have shoes and would cut the wire if they stepped on it....I've had to ask DH to do so many new projects for me lately that I don't dare stick that one right now.
    I've got the new chicks in a huge rubbermaid bin with a heat lamp. They're at 90 degrees this week and I am in here with them....I stay and read/type a bit then go cool off in the other room! [​IMG]

I can send you a picture of one of my coops if you'd like [​IMG]

5. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Ooh, that'd be cool. Thanks!

6. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Sent them by email to you. Let me know if you need anything else [​IMG]).
    Have a great weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by