Letting a Broody Hen Interact and Raise my five day old chicks

Peacefulchicks

Hatching
Mar 31, 2017
Hello,

I have a broody hen who is sitting on her nest box no matter how many times I do the broody breaker methods I've read about. I have some five day old baby chicks. Can I put her in with them and allow her to raise them? There are six of them..mixed breeds and they are in their own Brooding box away from the hen house.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a broody hen who is sitting on her nest box no matter how many times I do the broody breaker methods I've read about. I have some five day old baby chicks. Can I put her in with them and allow her to raise them? There are six of them..mixed breeds and they are in their own Brooding box away from the hen house.

Thanks!

Probably want work----but some hens might accept them. How have you tried to break the broody? I have broke many----never failed to break one.

I'd bring their peeping beaks nearby and see how she reacts. If she calls to them and leaves the nest, you have an exceptional broody. But more likely, her brain is set to hatch mode and she'd attack them if you tried to put them under her. Sometimes it works with new hatches but you have to know your hen.

She's a very mellow gal and allows me to pick her up from the nest box and hold her and pet her head, etc.... She is determined though to lay and lay and lay...been two months already and I've tried the wire cage broody breaker twice. I thought I'd let her fulfill this need if possible but I don't need any more chicks at this time for her to hatch on her own.

Thanks for the tips. Any help is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom